Jake McCrary's Reviews > Seveneves

Seveneves by Neal Stephenson

bookshelves: fiction, non-tech, read_2016

This book explores the idea of an extinction event being predicted and how Earth might react towards it. It is broken into three sections; preparing for the event, immediately post the event; and 5000 years after the event.

Its a pretty dense book. It deals with politics, science, space, and race. I thought it was a fun read and the length definitely forces you to get into the world (or else you'll probably not enjoy the book).

I originally was going to only rate this book four stars. I really enjoyed the book and the world that was built in it. In typical Stephenson fashion it veers off into explanations of of various science and space concepts. I now am more familiar with language around orbital mechanics. We'll see if that ever comes in handy.

I bumped this book up to five stars because in the week or so since I've finished the book I've caught myself thinking about it and being triggered by other media to think about situations that happened in this book. I've even had some dreams continuing the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seveneves.

June 1, 2015 – Shelved