Carol's Reviews > Dancing with Max: A Mother and Son Who Broke Free

Dancing with Max by Emily Colson

Nov 06, 2010

bookshelves: 2010

If I could sum this book up in one word, it would be joy! Emily Colson’s son is autistic and picked out this to read because my brother is too. Her son, Max was considered “severely autistic which sets him apart from many of the books written about autistic children. As my brother is too, I was very interested in this book. When Max was finally diagnosed as autistic, her marriage broke up. Her husband became distant and not involved with Max. This is common among families with an autistic child. The going from doctor to doctor, endless testing wears the couple down.
Even though her son was born much later than my brother, the same problems with the educational system, getting treatment, and specialists were there for her. She was forced to find new ways for Max to learn, to accept his limitations and be thankful for his special way of seeing the world. What I loved most about this book is Max’s joy when he discovered something; he loved whether it is church services, refrigerators, the car seats of a special Volvo car. Also, the realization that it is not too late for Max to learn, the window theory is wrong. People with autism can learn after they are a few years old. I know that from my brother and she knows that from Max. This book is full of heartbreak and disappointment but the joy and fun in life shine much brighter. I would recommend this book to everyone.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dancing with Max.

November 6, 2010 – Started Reading