Neil's Reviews > Full Dark, No Stars

Full Dark, No Stars by Stephen King

Nov 06, 2010

Read in October, 2010

** spoiler alert ** I reviewed it in the Guardian - you can read the full review over at http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2010/nov/05/full-dark-stephen-king-review, so I'm not going to put it all up here for a while. But it begins...

Novellas are an odd form of writing, and there is no love for them in publishing. They are the wrong size. You need about four of them to make a standard-sized book.

It has been almost 30 years since Stephen King's first set of four novellas, Different Seasons, four stories written in the golden dawn of his career. They were mostly fantasy-free, and three of them were filmed (as Stand By Me, The Shawshank Redemption and Apt Pupil). They were sharp, smart, dark stories of a perfect length to film – longer than the short stories King had written for men's magazines early in his career, shorter than the blockbuster novels he had started to carve out, following the success of Carrie (which was itself a novella, padded out to novel-length with commentary on the events of the book).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Full Dark, No Stars.

03/03/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by D.M. (new)

D.M. Gah! Leave it to you to make me want to read new King for the first time in more than 20 years! This sounds like a good solid collection of interesting long short stories.

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris Saknussemm King continues to surprise--often pleasantly.

message 3: by Christian (new)

Christian Lipski I've always been thrilled by King's short stories. Looking forward to it.

message 4: by Joyzi (new)

Joyzi I haven't read any Stephen king books but I have watched The Green Mile when I was a kid and I remembered that I really like it that I cried, well this novella sounds really interesting.

Erin Comparing it to Different Seasons really shows where this collection is lacking. There is nothing near that quality in Full Dark, No Stars.

message 6: by Dominick (new)

Dominick You've not read any Stephen King? For shame!

Dystopian I prefer his shorter works, whether novella or short story. I find his longer stuff often TOO long. Most could be improved by removing about 200 pages, in my opinion.

Stephanie that first story was seriously creepy!!