Eileen's Reviews > Across the Universe

Across the Universe by Beth Revis

Nov 06, 2010

bookshelves: own, read-2011, science-fiction, recommendations, read-2012

Re-reading this book to prepare myself for the sequel that I have ordered. Just to refresh my memory.....

Although I prefer fantasy, I also like science fiction, but not the books with the heavy and complicated technical stuff. This story is captivating, original, full of surprises, with likable main-characters and great descriptions of the spaceship by the author.

Elder has been living his whole life on the spaceship "Godspeed", that's on its way from Earth to the planet Centauri. He's a leader in training and finds a hidden level on the spaceship where frozen earthlings are stored. Amy is one of those earthlings. She wakes up before her time and wants to find out the reason why she, classified as non-essential, was unplugged. Maybe her attempted murder was a mistake, but it messes up her life and there is no way back for her.
Elder and Amy meet, bond and try to find the truth about who is killing the frozen earthlings and why, about life on "Godspeed", the ship and its mission.

Eldest, the leader, is one of the bad guys in the story. He's a selfish and ruthless dictator who keeps the inhabitants of the spaceship drugged so they are obedient followers without personal opinions and emotions. He knows that Amy just by being different will cause trouble and change things and he wants to stop her and Elder.

In the end many secrets are revealed, but the question remains if the inhabitants of "Godspeed" are able to handle the bitter truth and if they are strong enough to except their fate, their new life and their new leader.

I think it's a wonderful debut and yes, I'm very curious about what is going to happen next.

November 6, 2010 – Shelved
March 17, 2011 – Shelved as: own
April 5, 2011 – Started Reading
April 5, 2011 –
page 14
3.52% "I want my year back."
April 6, 2011 –
page 122
30.65% "This technology is better than anything on Earth. Another sign that I don't belong here."
April 7, 2011 –
page 164
41.21% "I'm not important. Why try to kill me?"
April 8, 2011 –
page 224
56.28% "I stare at the name on the screen. Eldest."
April 9, 2011 –
page 237
59.55% "I can wait fifty years until I see them again."
April 9, 2011 – Shelved as: read-2011
April 9, 2011 – Shelved as: science-fiction
April 9, 2011 –
page 372
93.47% "She holds the bright colored wires in her hand. "Well that did the trick", she says, smiling."
April 9, 2011 – Shelved as: recommendations
May 17, 2012 –
page 33
8.29% "I want to throw open my eyes and wake up and not be with myself anymore, but I can't."
page 97
24.37% "I run from the Hospital to the grav tube to the Keeper Level and silent tranquility."
page 112
28.14% "I stand up and leave the broken flowers in the hall. They remind me too much of me."
page 131
32.91% "I envy Mr. William Robertson, Number 100, who is floating in a sea of stars."
May 19, 2012 –
page 164
41.21% "He doesn't like anyone to be different at all. Difference, he says, is the first cause of discord."
May 19, 2012 –
page 201
50.5% "I want to see them, but I don't want to see them as frozen meat."
May 20, 2012 –
page 258
64.82% "Do you know you have a friend in me?"
May 22, 2012 –
page 330
82.91% "As of now, we're 250 years behind schedule."
May 23, 2012 – Finished Reading
December 29, 2012 – Shelved as: read-2012

Comments (showing 1-3)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 3: by Lora (new) - added it

Lora I bought this as soon as it was released but haven't made time to read it yet.

Great review, Eileen. :)

message 2: by Eileen (last edited Apr 10, 2011 08:06AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Eileen Thanks, it's a fast read, not too complicated and captivating. It's a nicely written book and worth the read.

message 1: by Diane ϟ [ Lestrange ] (last edited Oct 23, 2011 05:44PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Diane ϟ [ Lestrange ] haha no heavy scifi for me either.