Laura the Highland Hussy's Reviews > Betrayed

liked it
bookshelves: highlander-books

Read this review on Got Fiction? book blog

2.5

The blurb for Betrayed makes it sound awesome!! Add that to the dozen or so 5 star reviews, and I was so excited to read a great medieval Historical. I really loved the plot. The author is English and I think that gives this book a flavor of authenticity, and her writing is good, in fact I loved a few lines, that I will definitely put in this review.

However, this book struck a couple discordant notes for me.
Amber, our heroine and an English lady, is the niece of the cruel Jardin laird, and her father has recently died, so her uncle took her in…for nothing more than to have her break a curse he thinks her mother and father set upon him. For the first hundred pages or so, I really felt for Amber, I thought she’d been through a lot, and I cut her some slack.

Well, she has a friend in the neighboring rival clan who lets it slip that there will be a raid that night on her clan…so her maid is beaten by her uncle until she tells him everything. Amber decides then and there that she and her maid must escape before her cruel uncle marries her off to one of his cronies. So she tries to run away, but is kidnapped by the laird of the Johnstone clan in retaliation of the raid. He fears her uncle has one of his men prisoner-Amber’s friend. His clan hates her at first since she's the enemy, and there are several parts with his leman that pissed me off, no matter how nice she is, I don't want to see my hero sexing up his mistress while he's thinking of the heroine. It happens several times. Then Amber walks in on them, and never tells him. She wastes a lot of time being pissy and mad without telling him why. He had no clue she'd seen him.

Amber also is such a rude spoiled brat to some people throughout the book that I wanted to smack her. She spends the whole book trying to run away from Krayne. No really. Even when it's apparent she has nowhere to go and no money. Really.

Well, Krayne and Amber immediately feel lusty towards one another, which I totally felt, it was great…BUT the laird, our hero, was more cruel than I’d normally find in an Historical. Not to mention, I believe he’s in his thirties (I think he was mentioned being 35), and Amber is…wait for it...17. I know that is an appropriate age for marriage for the times, but Amber is very childish and an incredibly selfish heroine. He complains she acts like a child. SHE IS A CHILD! It feels like the author is making her childish on purpose, but I have no idea what that purpose is! It makes her unlikeable.

I understood her desire to leave Krayne...at first...but once their relationship was established, it became idiotic to leave. I mean where would she go? She thought only of herself. Always.

"She usually barged forward, merrily doing things her way, with the view that is someone didn't like it, they could leave it."

That was a comment the heroine thought about herself(major epiphany time!), so I was all gung-ho for her to change, or be nicer, or at the very least explain a VERY BIG HUGE SECRET to her husband, But NOOOOO, she just keeps acting like a selfish child!

A huge thing that bothered me was that Amber is constantly saying her body is a weapon. She teases men, tries to seduce her guards, and is caught doing it twice. Krayne has her learn to wield a sword…sort of . She’s too small, and the broadsword too big. So he has one specially made for her and she half-asses her attempts to learn to use it. At the end, Amber is about to be gang raped and she, instead of using her body for a weapon, snags a sword she can barely lift, all because of a promise to Krayne-that she’d never use her body as a weapon again. Okay, yay for not breaking a promise, but hello? It’s your life at stake!

And what does he do? He thinks to himself “please seduce him, you can’t lift that sword.” He actually was okay with her seducing the man, after all that…the author validates the female using her body to get her way. Pissed the feminist in me right off!

I just never felt that the reason Amber did what she did during the HUGE SECRET part was justified. Even after Krayne figured it out-that's right, he figured it out...she did not confess! Not once. Even then, her reasoning was totally childish.

Other than that it was a good story, but (and this is all me personally, it might not bother anyone else) the points of views fluctuated between so many people without warning. It was mid-paragraph, then wait, who thought that? I thought this was Amber’s section, no wait it’s her uncle’s for like 3 paragraphs then back to Amber, or Krayne, or his mother, or some random guy who we heard from once. We’d have chapters from one character, then a few paragraphs from someone else, then back to the main character. I don’t mind the pov shifts if there are breaks in the paragraphing, or the storyline, but it’s just too random and all over the place for my taste. Again, not something that will bother most people, just one of my pet peeves.

So my final verdict is that it is an okay historical read, but don't expect much from the heroine, she's a selfish and egotistical brat who thinks whatever she wants is justifiable by whatever means necessary. In fact, Amber made me drop this from a 4 star book for the plot, to a 2.5 star rating.

My favorite quotes (and this book had a lot of great quotes):

“You ever ridden astride before?”
“Only all of my life!”

Reminded me of that movie Napoleon Dynamite: What do you think! Gosh! You been hunting wolverines with Napoleon? Need your nunchuks? That quote cracked me up!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Betrayed.

November 5, 2010 – Shelved
November 19, 2010 – Started Reading
page 9
0% "William Jardin was a beast of a man, standing at least 2 heads above her. His plaid hung on a wide girth and looped about the thick mat of ginger hair covering his otherwise naked back. ick, back hair-thank goodness it's not the hero!"
page 9
0% ""What devilry do ye conspire with yon vermin that festers on me border?" Och wheest, nae maer..I canna take nae maer bad Scottish accents!"
page 166
0% "good plot, but I'm tired of all the drama-too many misunderstandings"
November 23, 2010 –
page 209
0% "Kidnapping is a national past time to these Scots and they do it for the sheer pleasure of making each other miserable."
November 24, 2010 –
page 230
0% ""She usually barged forward, merrily doing things her way,with the niew that is someone didn't like it, they could leave it." The best description of our spoiled 17 yr old heroine!"
November 24, 2010 –
page 296
0% ""She needed his body flush against hers, his touch caressing and stroking, she needed him inside her. The assurance that she belonged to her husband and only him.""
November 30, 2010 – Finished Reading
July 11, 2011 – Shelved as: highlander-books

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)

message 1: by Desperado (new)

Desperado Great review, Laurie. Betrayed sounds like a hot ass mess, what with the TSTL heroine, kidnapping ad nauseam & huge age difference between the h/h. And seriously? "My body is a weapon" ? Ja. Nearly getting raped is so the way to use you're body as a weapon. We should all go out & get gang banged.

message 2: by Laura the Highland Hussy (last edited Dec 01, 2010 06:09PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Laura the Highland Hussy Do you mind a spoiler?
If yes stop reading....

message 3: by Sans (new)

Sans Great review, Laurie. I'll be putting this one at the bottom of my "try to find it at the library" list. Hot messes I can handle, TSTL heroine's are what kill me.

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) Great review Laurie, I think I will probably not read this one, no matter how good the stor may be, I think this one sounds like a wallbanger!

Laura the Highland Hussy She just became completely unlikeable. Instead of growing as a person (er, character, whatever) she just showed how selfish she truly was, which is a shame since she totally has the reader's sympathy card at the beginning.

Laura the Highland Hussy Suzanne wrote: "Great review Laurie, I think I will probably not read this one, no matter how good the stor may be, I think this one sounds like a wallbanger!"

wallbanger ::snicker:: I do that too!

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog) That is annoying, I wonder why the author would write such an annoying heroine! I also don't like it when the heroine is 17 and the hero in his 20s/30s it bothers me, even if it is historically accurate!

Lol, it is especially unfortunate when it is an ebook, poor Phil gets battered! lol

Laura the Highland Hussy lamo, poor Phil the laptop :D

I think that the whole "Betrayal" theme was what the author was going for, but it came of as if the girl was just selfish and stupid...and the betrayal themes were more supposed betrayals and lies, rather than true betrayals...ugh.
Anyways, yeah I'd love one of you guys to read it jsut to see if you all think the way I do, but I don't want anyone to suffer through an unlikeable heroine

message 9: by Desperado (new)

Desperado Laurie-Highland Hussy wrote: "Do you mind a spoiler?
If yes stop reading....

This is the one where the heroine faked her own rape, then even after marrying the hero, she didn't tell him he'd never raped her."

O_O I remember reading about that in one of your updates! Crazy bitch!

Laura the Highland Hussy lol, yep..that's the one!

message 11: by Sans (new)

Sans Whaaaa? Seriously? Ok, might not read this at all then.

Laura the Highland Hussy Oh Sans, you have no idea..
I get that Amber was afraid, and Krayne thought she was a slut, so he figured after a 3 day bender, that not only was she a slut, but she was responsible for his friend's death and she was the enemy AND he walked in to his room with her legs spread trying to seduce the guard...soo..he went to take what no man would have let go this long!
But he changed his mind like a good romantic hero...too bad he drank drugged wine she'd meant to get the guard to drink.
So Amber (not knowing he had decided not to rape her virginal self) staged her own rape.
Well, of course he's a good guy and felt like shit, but still had to be forced to marry her, then he becomes a sweetie out of guilt.
WHAT A MESS

message 13: by Sans (new)

Sans Oy vey, definitely not what I'm the mood for. Thank you for taking one for the team, Laurie! You've saved several of us from a painful reading experience. >_<

Laura the Highland Hussy lol!! I think if I hadn't liked the plot (which got lost in all the drama queen theatrics) I'd have rated it lower.
2.5 stars isn't awful, but it's not great either