Mikejencostanzo's Reviews > The Treasure Principle: Discovering the Secret of Joyful Giving

The Treasure Principle by Randy Alcorn

752096
Jan 20, 2008

bookshelves: reviewed
Read in July, 2005

** spoiler alert ** A little book with a radical message. Don't save up treasures on earth. Don't invest in material things that are just going to rot, or burn, or get stolen, or broken. Send your treasures on ahead of you -- to heaven.

The author gives a great example of why this is so important. He asks the reader to imagine living in the deep South, just before all the currency is about to be converted to a uniform standard currency during the Civil War times. Everyone is advised to trade in their old bills and coins for the new currency. Imagine hoarding all those old bills and refusing to trade them in. Alcorn's point is that so very shortly, that old currency is going to be completely worthless.

"How foolish!" our hearts giggle as we read this example. And yet, I find myself giving no thought to hoarding material things.

One thing I love about this book, is that Alcorn doesn't leave you hanging in the abstract. "Isn't that nice... I should put my treasure in heaven... " What does that mean?!

Alcorn makes it totally clear. Give to the Lord's work. Invest your money and time in growing the church and in bringing people into the kingdom. With regards to our possessions, this is "sending it on ahead." Could anything else be more important?

--Jen

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Treasure Principle.