Aaron's Reviews > The Complete Calvin and Hobbes

The Complete Calvin and Hobbes by Bill Watterson

Jan 19, 2008

Recommended for: EVERYONE

When I was in third through sixth grade bedtime presented me with a world of existential angst. Nighttime and time alone in dark often made me consider the possible loss of my parents and other realities of growing older, the family splitting apart, etc. Before bed my father and I would watch 50's and 60's sitcoms on Nick at Nite (Donna Reed, Car 54) and often an old sherlock holmes or charlie chan movie. When I got to bed, I would usually read from one of my comic strip books (Foxtrot, Garfield, Farside, For Better or For Worse) but Calvin and Hobbes was the one which simultaneously offered me comic relief and insight that immediately addressed some of the issues I was finding troubling. Also I was a boy growing up with a stuffed tiger (which I still own) which meant the world to me... it had been my fathers. I think it is hard to really articulate all of the ways this series of comics helped me as a child, but it did, and whenever I go back to look at them in this collection I am reminded a bit of the realization that some of the best places to look for ways to approach some of the harder questions in life is in humor.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Complete Calvin and Hobbes.