Luffy's Reviews > Pet Sematary

Pet Sematary by Stephen King

While a third into this Stephen King book, it dawned on me why King had such a strong fan base around the world in the 80s, and was the hottest name in popular fiction. It came to me that reading such a well-written horror book was legitimately one of the most primal, adult things I could do. That's because this type of book can have its own brand of hangover. Luckily, I've not yet dreamed of Zelda, the most terrifying monster in this book.

King had a handle on the human mind. He could then - and here did - draw horror-laden imagery from ordinary people. The characters in these pages had life in their lungs. The Pet Sematary is a character. Route 15 is another one. The Creeds lived on the edge of horror, and I feared for them. From the first chapter you knew in time you would pinpoint the danger before the hapless Creeds would.

The trials of the Creeds, ignited by the Jud character, and set in motion by Louis, were cruel, but not larger than life. The crudeness I felt, didn't stem from the situation but in the ancient fear of the wild. The fact that there were two kids in the Creed family was not a surefire bet we would be emotionally invested in them. The reason for it was that a great writer at the top of his game was behind them. After all, simply putting a child in the spotlight was not a guarantee we would empathize with their fate.

Outside of anime, I've never seen a depiction of such fierce love between two characters as when Louis bonded with his growing son Gage. It was a mesmeric scene. Totally believable. The other child, Ellie, was very thoroughly written into the book. You know, I'm amazed at how much of the scenes in the book have not yet been exploited by other writers and by Hollywood. The writing in the book was so taut. The last chapters duly didn't dally and the end was fitting. There was no drama in the pejorative sense, let alone melodrama. What happened after the book ended is left open to interpretation...

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pet Sematary.

May 30, 2015 – Started Reading
May 30, 2015 – Shelved
June 6, 2015 –
June 7, 2015 –
18.0% "I'm beginning to think this one will be my first 5 star Stephen King book. I sense he was inspired when writing this."
June 12, 2015 –
87.0% ""
87.0% ""
June 14, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)

message 1: by Christine (new)

Christine Luffy, you described the "feel" of this book so succinctly and so beautifully. Wonderful review.

Luffy I had my doubts about this review tbh, so thanks for the like!

message 3: by Stefanie (new) - added it

Stefanie Wow Luffy what a fabulous review! I've set a goal for myself to read more Stephen King books, sounds like this is going to be one of them

Luffy Thanks for the praise Stefanie! Reading early SK material may be a common goal with us.

message 5: by Suzanne (new) - added it

Suzanne No doubts needed anywhere near you Luffy! Genius! Thought provoking! I still haven't read a Mr King novel.. (I'll run away and hide now). But!! I do have many on my shelf, so I need to change that.

message 6: by Candi (new)

Candi Awesome review, Luffy!

Luffy Haha, right back at you! Big thanks, Suzanne!

message 8: by Stefanie (new) - added it

Stefanie Maybe we can read one together some timein the future Luffy!

Luffy Candi wrote: "Awesome review, Luffy!"

Thanks Candi! Glad you liked it.

Stefanie wrote: "Maybe we can read one together some timein the future Luffy!"

Of course. It has become one of my priorities. Send me a word anytime.

message 10: by Christine (new)

Christine Suzanne, I have never read a King either! You and me against the world.

Luffy Stephanie wrote: "Another great review, Luffy!!! Now I need to go re-read this one-- have a copy on the shelf. First read it when published..."

:) Thank you, Stephanie! The book is worth rereading. Hope you keep enjoying GWTW btw.

Amber Great review. I read and enjoyed this one too. Have you seen the film adaptation yet, Luffy? It's just as good as the book.

Luffy Amber wrote: "Great review. I read and enjoyed this one too. Have you seen the film adaptation yet, Luffy? It's just as good as the book."

There is a movie?! Thanks for the support, Amber.

Wayne Barrett Good review. I thought this was a great novel and always thought it was underrated when it came to discussions about King's best work.

Luffy Wayne wrote: "Good review. I thought this was a great novel and always thought it was underrated when it came to discussions about King's best work."

Thanks Wayne. I think early King is vintage King, to wit.

message 16: by Jen (new)

Jen Great review...this is the one and only King book I've read. It creeped me out and 30 years later thinking about it, it's still as unsettling!

Luffy Thanks, Jen. I thought PS was that Stephen King book least likely to disappoint. I was justified and then some.

message 18: by Jean (new)

Jean Very entertaining review, Luffy! While the graphics were distracting at first, I found them to be quite amusing as well. Good job!

message 19: by Linda (new)

Linda Strong Excellent review! That was one of my favorite King books.

Luffy Jean wrote: "Very entertaining review, Luffy! While the graphics were distracting at first, I found them to be quite amusing as well. Good job!"

Thanks Jean, that was my first foray in that direction.

Linda wrote: "Excellent review! That was one of my favorite King books."

Thank you, Linda!:)

message 21: by Jan (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jan So glad you enjoyed this!! Loved the review-what you noticed about how King has a handle on the human mind and he knows our triggers- you will find that in his other earlier works as well! (Can't speak for some of his later work as he switched to more fantasy for awhile and that's not a genre I get excited about) I have heard he's 'back' with his newest novel Finders Keepers I hope you will delve into another of his earlier works as he truly is a master!

Luffy Yes, I am very much inclined to read another of his earlier works. King was beast back then. I had more to say about Pet Sematary, but forgot a few ideas. Next time I'll break my rule, and actually take some notes. Eh, I didn't buy into the hype with Mr Mercedes, so I'll wait for more reviews to decide.

message 23: by Maureen (new)

Maureen Great review Luffy.

Luffy Thanks Maureen!

message 25: by Tara (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tara Excellent review, Luffy! This is probably my favorite Stephen King book. I used to be terrified by the movie as a child, especially the character of Zelda.

Luffy Thanks, Tara! The movie was well adapted, given the time it was shot.