Shaun's Reviews > Goodbye Miami: Tales Of An American Climate Refugee

Goodbye Miami by Treesong

Climate change, a subject that needs to be addressed more often with focus on solutions, not rhetoric. Goodbye Miami: Tales Of An American Climate Refugee is a timely book even if it's set in 2030. The events that unfold in the book, I think we could all see happening sooner, even. It's an important topic and this is a book I could see being read in junior and senior high schools. It's pretty basic reading, in that a lot of the concepts are explained as if the reader wasn't aware of what global warming.

The style was different and I enjoyed it. It's written as a series of blog posts by Kass, a refugee of Miami, which is mentioned in the book description. You learn what is happening as she posts about it. While the format is interesting and different, the one negative I found while reading is it doesn't lend itself to being able to create suspense. The topics covered are all things that have already happened, so there is really only suspense within that one blog post.

My main reason for a 4/5 and not 5/5 is I thought the posts should have been tightened up a bit. There was some repetitiveness, that wasn't needed in order to push the story forward. The blog format may have contributed to that as well.

Overall, it was an interesting take on the dystopian genre. It's more of an optimistic dystopia, if that even exists. While much of the world is in a dystopian state, the tone of the book is one of resilience and future survival.

I received a copy of the book directly from the author in exchange for an honest review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Goodbye Miami.

May 29, 2015 – Shelved