Kim's Reviews > Burn Bright

Burn Bright by Marianne de Pierres

bookshelves: read-in-2011, dystopian-fiction, young-adult, fantasy
Recommended to Kim by: Lyndsey, Nic

I don't think there will be a lot of spoilers in here, but there might be some small ones, so be warned.

The most difficult reviews to write are about the books I liked. This is no different. I mean, what is there to say? So much and yet so little.

I've been spending months and months without reading a single page, feeling no need to read. My Kindle was feeling sad and lonely, constantly giving me those "don't you love me anymore?" looks and to be honest, it only made me feel worse. But my good(reads) friends managed to change that for me by recommending me this book. I loved every page of it :) and I'm really glad it helped me rediscover how passionate I am about books.

I'll be honest and tell you that for some parts of this book, I had no idea what was going on, or at least that's how it seemed. I feel like I understood nothing, and yet I adore this book, I don't know how that happened. (I can't explain it any better than this, and I do realize that what I am saying is pretty confusing too)

I could rant a little bit about how I don't really understand what makes Retra/Naif so special that everybody focuses on her. I know she's the main character, but there are at least 8 people fawning over her, and that was before she got "famous". But I loved the transformation she went through.

I could go on and on about how difficult it is for me to understand the world where Retra came from and the one she went to. They are both so different from our worlds and it's scary.

I'm going to give up on this nonsense so-called review, with just one last thing: Lenoir, what is your deal?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Burn Bright.

November 4, 2010 – Shelved
July 6, 2011 – Started Reading
July 6, 2011 – Shelved as: read-in-2011
July 6, 2011 – Shelved as: dystopian-fiction
July 6, 2011 – Shelved as: young-adult
July 6, 2011 – Shelved as: fantasy
July 6, 2011 –
10.0% "Welcome to Ixion."
July 7, 2011 –
40.0% "Om nom nom"
July 10, 2011 –
80.0% "Reading or sleeping... Life is so hard sometimes..."
July 11, 2011 –
July 11, 2011 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-27 of 27 (27 new)

Lyndsey Yay! But I am prepared to run and hide, in case you don't like it.

I would be willing to take it off your hands if that is the case, however. *sly grin* I can't believe you actually found it on eBay. Jealous.

message 2: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Good pick :)

message 3: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim -cracks her neck-

I'll let you know. This is exactly what I need btw xD

message 4: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Btw, is it really that rare? xD

Lyndsey Yeah, it super hard to find. Like all the good Australian books, but this one even moreso, it seems. The cover is so pretty and velvety...

I'm tempted to fly over there and pry it away from you when you get it, but that would probably turn out to be counterproductive. I've never been very good with logical decision making. So they tell me.

message 6: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim It depends... Where do you live? Belgium = cold. Australia has multiple copies of the book + they are new...

Pry it away from me btw... HAHAHAHAHA.

message 7: by Lyndsey (last edited Jul 21, 2012 12:46AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lyndsey I'm from the South (view spoiler) and you NEVER leave once you get here. (view spoiler)

So I guess I'm out of luck anyhow.

message 8: by Kim (last edited Jul 05, 2011 06:53AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Sweeeeet hooooome Oklah- Oh wait....

(view spoiler)

But don't worry, I'll take a picture of me holding the book and email it to you.

Lyndsey A picture would be nice... The book would be better but I am easily distracted. (view spoiler)

message 10: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim (view spoiler)

message 11: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Starting this today when I get home from work. Yay!

message 12: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic YAY!!! I hope you like it :)

message 13: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim It's pretty important that I do xD Everybody seems to love this one :) If I end up hating it then I don't know what else to read :(

-crosses her fingers-

message 14: by Lora (new)

Lora The first Kim review in like . . . forever? Ha! I'm glad you liked this hun, and I'm glad you're around and reviewing again. :)

message 15: by Flannery (new) - added it

Flannery You got a thing for horses, Kim? (view spoiler) But I'm pumped to see you back in these parts.

Arlene I missed reading your reviews Kim. :) So glad your first read back was worthy of 5 stars.

message 17: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim Thanks girls :) I am glad too, very very glad.

-grins at Flannery-

(view spoiler)

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko So happy you enjoyed your book and discovered your passion again.

message 19: by Lora (new)

Lora Flannery wrote: "You got a thing for horses, Kim? [spoilers removed] But I'm pumped to see you back in these parts."

Gosh, Flann! That really is gross.

message 20: by Flannery (new) - added it

Flannery HOW IS THAT PICTURE HAPPENING?

and Kim, I laughed so loud at yours.

Amber so glad you liked this one Kim! As sick as this sounds, I could have just sat there and rubbed the cover! HA

message 22: by Nic (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nic Woo hoo you loved it Smiley ! And I have no idea what Lenior deal is either.

~Tina~ Great review! I still need to read this;)

message 24: by Lora (new)

Lora Flannery wrote: "HOW IS THAT PICTURE HAPPENING?

and Kim, I laughed so loud at yours."

It doesn't seem possible, does it?

message 25: by Kim (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kim My mouth fell open and everything xD

Tinaaaaa :) <3

Lyndsey Yeeeeeeay! You liked it! You really liked it!

PS Don't you hate it when electronics give you puppy dog eyes? It's totally creepy, right?

Milly I am so happy to see you back Kim! You've certainly been missed!

I have to say I agree with a lot of what you had to say in your review. Just something about it that makes you like it no matter what. I'm baffled about Retra as well and with some parts of the book but I think that's part of the mystery and charm of the book!