Mickey's Reviews > Rilke's Book of Hours

Rilke's Book of Hours by Rainer Maria Rilke

bookshelves: checked-this-out-2015, books-to-buy
Recommended for: people interested in spirituality, lovers of nature, philosophers

I have no idea how to review poetry, but I'll start with saying that I was deeply moved by several of the poems in this collection. Even if you aren't a spiritual person, Rilke's exploration of humans' relationships with the divine both within and without is really moving. While there is some imagery that can be connected directly to Christianity, most of the poems could be about any spiritual being you believe in. There are a lot of poems that focus on nature and the way humans have gotten further and further away from nature and therefore away from God. Rilke explores not only the importance of God to his worshipers but also the importance of the believers to that spiritual being. Can God exist without believers ("what's a God to a nonbeliever"-Frank Ocean in "No Church in the Wild" reference)? Rilke doesn't think so. He believes that God derives life from their followers as much as they derive life from him.

There is also a section of poems that are dedicated to scrutinizing civilizations treatment of the poor. It is a wonderful collection and I highly recommend it. The translation by Barrows and Macy is lovely.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rilke's Book of Hours.

May 28, 2015 – Started Reading