Shauna's Reviews > Ever

Ever by Gail Carson Levine

Nov 04, 2010

Although this was not what I expected from someone who writes lovely princess and fairy tales, as it deals more with ancient mythology than fairy tales, I did end up enjoying it all right. What I found most interesting was the discussion of how different societies believe in and worship different types of gods. I enjoyed Levine's take on early Mesopotamian gods (immortal beings dedicated to various aspects of life, i.e. pottery, agriculture, wind), including how interactive they are with their human devotees. In contrast, I was more concerned with her representation of the other god, Admat, portrayed as a sort of Christian Old Testament deity ("the one, the all, god of the children of Hyte, god of everywhere, god of everything"), because this god is absent or must be read through signs and divination. Still I enjoyed how these contrasts provide the underlying conflict in the book. It is an unusual and unique love story, including mythological style quests. It is also unusual in the simplistic tone (these are youthful narrators after all) told in alternating short chapters in first person from the two main characters (Olus and Kezi).

2nd read, 11/02/14. Somehow I missed noting that I had read this before, so I checked it out from the library and was once again surprised by the subject matter. The clipped writing style takes a while to get used to, but it is ultimately effective. I wondered again at the subtle debate of polytheism versus monotheism.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ever.

Started Reading