Sadaf Matinkhoo's Reviews > Essays in Love

Essays in Love by Alain de Botton

bookshelves: favorites

Love at first sight, going out for a while, and breaking up. This has happened to most of us, joy at the beginning and heartbreak at the end. But you never think about it the way Alain de Botton describes in his book. You never analyze the behaviour of the people in the relationship this deeply and logically. And oh, how familiar was it all! That is the beauty of this book, you have already experienced it, but you never knew what you were experiencing. Alain de Botton takes you on a self-discovery journey and opens your eyes to some of the feelings that you might have had but didn't know why. He makes you realize how biased you are when it comes to the person you love, how self-righteous you are when it comes to break-ups, and despite all these, how forgetful you are when it comes to the next potential lover...

P.S. I loved how British every sentence of this book was! LOL

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Essays in Love.

May 28, 2015 – Shelved
May 28, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
November 22, 2015 – Started Reading
November 22, 2015 –
page 57
22.89% ""Perhaps the easiest people to fall in love with are those about whom we know nothing.""
November 26, 2015 –
page 96
December 1, 2015 –
page 113
45.38% ""Most people do not openly force us into roles, they merely suggest that we adopt them through their reactions to us, and hence surreptitiously prevent us from moving beyond whatever mould they have assigned us.""
December 1, 2015 –
page 131
December 2, 2015 –
page 176
70.68% ""I was left alone with my desire, defenceless, beyond the law, shockingly crude in my demands: LOVE ME! And for what reason? I had only the usual paltry, insufficient excuse: BECAUSE I LOVE YOU...""
December 3, 2015 – Finished Reading