Courtney's Reviews > Bible Camp Bloodbath

Nov 03, 2010

bookshelves: 2010, canadian-authors
Read from November 18 to 19, 2010

"Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!"

There is something mildly disturbing about the fact that I read this book with a huge grin on my face, LOLing throughout, BUT I totally cried at the end, all sucker-punched, so I'm not going to worry about myself too much.

Also I seem to have this blanket acceptance of whatever realities Joey Comeau presents because his delivery is so matter-of-fact and unpretentious and trusting of its reader, which is nice because then I get to read without this huge layer of cynicism over my eyes that I seem to read everything with lately. I just dig his style and how he puts words together! Each of his books are accessible and bold and risky and very honest. And there's no navel-gazing which is like, "yeah!" His stuff is wry, funny, thoughtful, sincere and heartfelt. Just GOOD! Everybody should be reading his stuff. Bible Camp Bloodbath is no exception.

I gotta say the bloodbath was pretty amazing. There's a lot of joy in those passages, or at least I got that vibe. Like when you watch a movie and you can tell everyone is enjoying themselves--director, actors, the dude with the boom mike etc. Every time a camper died my face was doing that incredulous grin that is also part horrified oh-my-God-am-I-grinning at this?! thing the whole time. You know, the one that is like:

:D

And then you get to the end and you're reminded of how human the people involved are and how objectively, it's all pretty tragic.

:*(

So of course I love it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bible Camp Bloodbath.

Quotes Courtney Liked

Joey Comeau
“There's something not quite Christian about it," Tony said. He sat back in his chair and looked up to where his Bible sat on the shelf. "I can't put my finger on why exactly, but it doesn't seem right for a couple of young ladies to be out there in the middle of the night, obsessing over their telescopes.”
Joey Comeau, Bible Camp Bloodbath

message 1: by Kelly (new) - added it

Kelly holy crap. this exists and it sounds....unbelievably awesome.

message 2: by Jordyn (new)

Jordyn so is this about a dude who goes to bible camp and people just start getting KILLED TO DEATH or what? i'm so confused.

Courtney Basically! It's an ode to the slasher genre but it's more than that. Realllly violent & bloody so if you've got a weak stomach, might not be for you. It's online in its entirety for free:

message 4: by Jordyn (new)

Jordyn Oooh yes I probably don't have a strong enough stomach for this. Eek.