Ceci's Reviews > The Best Laid Plans

The Best Laid Plans by Sarah Mayberry

Nov 03, 2010

bookshelves: 2010, contemporary-romance, favorites
Read from November 07 to 09, 2010

Once in a while, you can find a very rare jewel between all the harlequin releases and in my opinion, this was one of them.

The book starts with Alex running into her old-boyfriend. She spent seven years in a relationship with him and the reason why they break up was because he didn't want a child. When she runs into him, she finds out that he had a baby just recently and she's very hurt. She feels like she lost all this time with him and feels like she's running out of time. She has a doctor consult and she founds out that she's actually running of time if she wants to have a baby. She's very frustrated and angry. later, that day, she has an appointment with her coworker Ethan (they play tennis every week). She's very frustrated and angry and she takes it out with Ethan. He was very patient and he really listened to her even if she really didn't want to talk about it since he's her coworker and not a real friend or anything related. She wants to have certain distance with him for several reasons. The story develops from this point... we start getting to know Ethan who is more than a pretty face. He's very torture even if he doesn't show it to the world. He has very strong views of life, love and marriage and how all these issues collides with Alex who is athe happily ever after kind of girl.

The book isn't a fun book. It develops a very serious issue when you're running out time when you want to accomplish certain dreams... It's about companionship and loneliness. The desperate race of happiness and how far we will go to find it.... If we can let go of the past and start looking for the future. One side of the book that i really loved was the slow growing of Alex/Ethan relationship... they starts as coworkers and very slowly they become friends and lovers. It's a very subtle change in the whole book. There was one particular moment in the book where Ethan was very perturbed and his brother comes to talk to him and they had a very strong conversation and it's the moment that you could finally understand Ethan why is the way he is.

Also, the book deals with all these issues in a very real way. You can feel the struggle of the characters with their emotions. Overall, the book is really good. If you want to read something light and funny, this isn't your book... Beware that if you are over thirty-five and single, you'll want to avoid this book!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Best Laid Plans.

11/07/2010 page 20

message 1: by Lennongirl (new)

Lennongirl 5 stars? Niiice! I need that one as well ;)

Ceci Lennongirl wrote: "5 stars? Niiice! I need that one as well ;)"

What can i say... it was a really good book. Pretty emotional and real!

message 3: by Edna (new)

Edna where's your review, girlie?

message 4: by Lennongirl (new)

Lennongirl I second the question for a review!

Ceci Don't worry... I'm going to write it but last night, i was really tired!!! :D

message 6: by Lennongirl (new)

Lennongirl Nice review, thanks! And well, I am 35 and single, but since my world wouldn't end if I didn't have any kids, I guess I'm safe ;)

message 7: by Ami (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ami Great review, Ceci; and this review actually cajoled me to read it.