Tyler Detering's Reviews > Firefight

Firefight by Brandon Sanderson

M 50x66

Goodreads Critique

Firefight by Bruce Stanton has David Charleston, the recent slayer of Steelheart, is sent to Babilar with Jon Phaedrus and Tia. There a high epic Regalia rules over this city, Jon wants to take her out. There is also a rumor that Megan is hiding out in Babilar after her cover was blown in the Reckoners.
I enjoyed Firefight very much; it lived up to the expectations set by its predecessor, Steelheart. A lesson being taught to everyone in Firefight is that absolute power corrupts absolutely. David takes a particular interest in the mind sets of the epics he faces off with, and many are noted to have so much power that killing is something they do almost unconsciously. Epics believe they have the “right” to do these things, because they are superior in every way. I loved the writing style in the book. The weird details noted throughout the book made reading descriptions actually interesting. When the characters enter Bablilar, the description of the place was so surreal, and I enjoyed reading that. The author notes how the fruit hanging off of giant vines in skyscrapers glow with different colors. Also, that spray paint glows at night for some reason. Davids first person view is also a very interesting one. One idiosyncrasy that is displayed by David is his inability to form metaphors. It’s quite funny to read some of the weird convoluted “metaphors” he comes up with. One of my problems with the book is that it’s too short. I would have actually liked more filler in the book because I enjoyed reading it so much. In the book, the plot moved really fast, and I usually like this, but I feel like the author could have spent a little more time on maybe new character development.
Overall Firefight is a good face paced action packed sci-fi book with light elements of romance in it. Those who are looking for a classic fantasy book will be disappointed because there aren’t very many unreal things about the setting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Firefight.

Finished Reading
May 27, 2015 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

message 1: by Sydney (new)

Sydney Gorelick Sounds like a fun book! I like weird details and romance-y sci-fi.

message 2: by Sanjay (new)

Sanjay Shrikanth Great critique! I have read the prequel to this, so this sounds pretty exciting and fun to read. Good job!

message 3: by Adrian (new)

Adrian Bonilla You did a good job but I'll have to read the first book in order to make sense of it