Jami's Reviews > Raised by Wolves

Raised by Wolves by Jennifer Lynn Barnes

Nov 03, 2010

did not like it
bookshelves: angsty-teenage-girl-lit, young-adult, gets-hype-but-actually-pretty-sucky

Ugh. I really kind of hated this book. I kept asking myself, "WHY am I still reading this? Why do I continue to punish myself with more than 400 pages of this crap?" Then I would remember how the sweet librarian I've become friends with at our library branch recommended the book and had been so sure I'd like it that she put it on hold for me herself. Sigh. I guess I wanted to be able to honestly say that I had finished it. So there's that.

The problem with this book was the sheer ridiculousness of it. And the stupid characters. And the dumb plot. Oh yeah, and the writing. And the entire, revolting theme that centers around characters owning each other. The uber-annoying 15-year-old Bryn refers to herself as "his" in reference to at least three different male characters. Very empowering, eh? Plus, um, did I mention that she's only fifteen?? If the author insisted on placing her protagonist in a creepy co-dependent, soul-mate sort of relationship, couldn't she have made her just a tad older? In fact, everything that happens with and to this character really demands that she be older. I just couldn't ever see her as being only fifteen.

The writing itself was a mix of pretentiousness ("Hey, look at all the really, big words I know!") and a desperate attempt at dramatic flair (which failed, in case you were wondering). Incessant repetition of short phrases and/or words does not a brilliant author make.

Maybe the biggest problem for me was that I just wasn't buying it. Now, I'm all for a great fantasy book that creates a different kind of world. But the concept of that fantasy has to believable within the parameters the author has created. The world of Fablehaven was fantastic; the writing that created The Hunger Games (Hunger Games, #1) was flawless; The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was ridiculous and hilarious, but still believable within the world(s) that it was created. While I know that none of those books represent reality, at no point while reading them did I roll my eyes and think, "Yeah, right."

So, now I just have to figure out what to say to my nice librarian friend. Sigh. I may have to resort to a stealthy drive-by to make sure she's not there when I drop this thing off . . .

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Raised by Wolves.

06/16/2016 marked as: read

message 1: by Kaya (new) - added it

Kaya Wow, I completely disagree.Although I must admit I didn't like the intro, I thought the book was great.Instead of having the all-mighty,all-powerful protagonist in like most books,Bryn was sort of helpless.I thought the book was funny and entertaining,but it did have some dull spots.Otherwise it was excellent.

Kat (Lost in Neverland) You 'sigh' a lot. :P
Oh, and i loved the book.

message 3: by Jami (new) - rated it 1 star

Jami Kat wrote: "You 'sigh' a lot. :P
Oh, and i loved the book."

When it came to this book, I definitely sighed a lot! :)

Kat (Lost in Neverland) Lol, probably in a bad way, huh?

message 5: by Jami (new) - rated it 1 star

Jami Unfortunately, yes!

ssozi✧ I agree with you! I'm sure half the book was repeated words.

message 7: by Abby (new)

Abby Almquist That's rude u try writing a book

message 8: by Faith (new)

Faith Troupe I liked the series but the ending was what pissed me off. I thought it was going to continue but nope didn't happen