Lauren Stoolfire's Reviews > Pines

Pines by Blake Crouch

May 26, 2015

bookshelves: mystery, suspense

Ethan Burke, Secret Service, goes to Wayward Pines, Idaho on a mission to find two agents who went missing there a month ago. Shortly after arriving, he's involved in a terrible accident. When he comes to he's in the hospital and although the staff seems friendly enough something is off. He can't pinpoint exactly what it is, but for one thing they won't give him back his personal effects and no one seems to know what happened to them. As he continues his mission in the coming days, he realizes he now has a lot more questions than answers. For example, why does no one believe he is who he says he is, why can't he call his family to let them know he's alright, and why is there a huge electric fence surrounding the town? Whatever the answers to the above questions, Ethan begins to wonder whether he'll ever get out of Wayward Pines alive.

I enjoyed what I saw on the FOX's tv adaptation, so I decided to check out the source material. Since I had already watched the entire series, I wasn't all that surprised by the twists and the turns but it was interesting to be able to compare the original to the adaptation. While there are differences some of which I wasn't expecting at all, it still a fun twisty read. I actually listened to the audiobook which was overall a good production but it took me a while to get into the style.

If you haven't read or watched this series, I recommend both especially if you enjoy The Twilight Zone. I fully plan on continuing the trilogy!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pines.

May 26, 2015 – Shelved
May 26, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
July 21, 2015 – Started Reading
July 26, 2015 – Shelved as: mystery
July 26, 2015 – Shelved as: suspense
July 26, 2015 – Finished Reading

Meigan I think I'm the only one who hated the show. In the beginning, it seemed to mirror the events of the book, which I really liked, but then it started to veer off into something entirely different. I do understand that things need to be more sensational when it comes to screen, but I was still so disappointed. Matt Dillon was pretty much the best thing about it :)

Lauren Stoolfire Meigan wrote: "I think I'm the only one who hated the show. In the beginning, it seemed to mirror the events of the book, which I really liked, but then it started to veer off into something entirely different. I..."

Matt Dillon was definitely the best part! And, Toby Jones - he was very good too. :)

I'd heard it was quite different before I started, so I kind of had that in the back of my mind. We would probably share similar opinions if I read the book before I started watching the show.