Jan's Reviews > Three Weeks With My Brother

Three Weeks With My Brother by Nicholas Sparks

2073876
Nov 02, 2010

bookshelves: non-fiction

I have never read a Nicholas Sparks book before in my life. Nor have I seen any of the movies based on his books. To tell you the truth, his stuff has always looked very cheesy, generic, and melodramatic to me.

However, this is not one of his fiction books. This is a two-part memoir, written with his older brother Micah. One part of the memoir is about their childhood. The other part is about a 3-week trip around the world that they took together in 2002. Each chapter starts with a certain phase of their lives (i.e. the first chapter starts with birth) and then leads into a part of the trip they took.

I won't say that this book isn't without a healthy dose of cheese. But it's still gripping. The Sparks brothers' lives weren't exactly charmed. They had happy childhoods, even though they grew up desperately poor. Stories of their early years are funny, alarming, and bittersweet all at the same time. And later in life, while they both saw great fortune come their way, they also saw a lot of tragedy.

In the end, I really came to admire their strength and perseverance. I also laughed out loud multiple times. Not quite 100% heartwarming, but 100% enjoyable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Three Weeks With My Brother.

Finished Reading