Kristy's Reviews > Ash

Ash by Malinda Lo

Nov 02, 2010

it was ok

No, No, No, No, No!!!!
Cinderella is not a lesbian!!! Ack, she is suppsed to fall in love with Prince charming and be doted on by silly little mice. This is a crock!

Acceptable forms of Cinderella: The Mouse Lover
or The Drew Fairy

Not This
crossed with
That and a touch of
Wack-o!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ash.

November 2, 2010 – Shelved
November 11, 2010 – Started Reading
November 16, 2010 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Vanesa (new)

Vanesa Agree! Ill be picking that one up very soon! I'll sure keep an eye and see what you think about it :)

Shera (Book Whispers) Glad I read you're review before I bought this book today.

Lesbian Cinderella story is not for me.

Kristy me either... i seriously had no idea!!!!

Shera (Book Whispers) Must have been quite the shocker!! +_+

Kristy you're telling me!!! lol

Greta is Erikasbuddy SNORT!! A lesbian? What will they think of next?

Greta is Erikasbuddy Oh snap!! Ur pictures are making me want to read it!! what is it that curiosity killed? lolz

Desperado Kristy, I'm curious. Was your issue that Lo turned Cinderella into a lesbian? Or was is something else? Because I actually thought the idea of a lesbian fairy tale very unique in this genre & was very excited when I found out how the book was going to go. My problem is with the writing: it just plain sucked.

Kristy somewhat, yes with the whole lesbian thing... I guess I look at fairy-tales as sort of this sacred childhood thing that doesn't need to be altered in that way. But, in general I didn't like the way the story was written either- b/c you don't really even realize she is a lesbian until close to the end and I already was not feeling it...

Kristy Note: I just want to say I am not trying to offend anyone... I'm not trying to comment on my feeling towards the gay community... I'm only talking about this book. So, please don't butcher me people :)

Desperado *Lethal nods* I agree. You don't really get any warning that Ash wasn't going to end up with the fairy dude until the end. Of course, I have this absolutely disgusting habit of reading the last page or so of a book before beginning-so I already had an idea it'd turn lezzie. Too bad the writing sucked ass, or I might've given it a higher star.

message 12: by Alethea (last edited Nov 18, 2010 02:21PM) (new) - added it

Alethea A LOL, yeah I sort of felt the same way--lack of enjoyment of the writing had nothing to do with the lesbian theme. I actually read another lesbian romance earlier this year and LOVED it. Wildthorn by Jane Eagland was just a good story, and fairly well written. I will probably read Lo's next book (Huntress) but I don't think I will buy it.

Kelly @Lethal: As for me, my issue was mostly that the Cinderella plot and Ash's character arc didn't quite go together. I wanted either Sidhean or Kaisa to play the role the prince played in the story. It could have been either way. Make Sidhean the prince, have her run away from a fairy ball. Make Kaisa a princess and have her hold a ball to meet men and fall for Ash instead. But neither of them play that role, so there's this totally extraneous prince who only feels like he's there because he's in the original story. He feels tacked on.

Desperado @ Alethea: I *had* Wildthorne on my TBR shelf for awhile but ended up taking it off after I read so many scathing reviews. Hmmm. As for Lo's prequel to Ash, it sounds interesting. I'm just afraid that it's going to be just as bad. It's one thing for a storyline to be terrible. But its another thing to think an author's writing is terrible. It ends up including the same things you hate in a different book.

@ Kelly: I concur. I felt like Ash wasn't really a retelling of Cinderella so much as losely based on it. You have the wicked stepmother/sisters, prince, kingdom et cetera but alot of things that made Cinderella so enjoyable for me was absent in this book.

Kristy @Kelly: That is an awesome point!! Maybe if the prince did actually do Something it would have tied in much better... otherwise why didn't she just leave him completely out of the story!?!?!?

Kristy "I felt like Ash wasn't really a retelling of Cinderella so much as losely based on it. You have the wicked stepmother/sisters, prince, kingdom et cetera but alot of things that made Cinderella so enjoyable for me was absent in this book."

Thank you Lethal, that is exactly how i felt!!!

Kelly *nods* And I felt like Ash should have just stayed back in her original town when she ran away back there. There were characters--I forget who now, it's been a year or so--who would have taken her in. But it's Cinderella, so she has to go back for the plot to work. So there's this deus ex machina fairy rule that she has to go back.

I wanted it to either have way more Cinderella, or way less.

Desperado Likewise. Either go all the way or leave alot out. But don't half-ass it. I find it more acceptable to pick & choose what you want in other books with supernatural aspects. But fairy tales? They're kind of set in stone. It's okay to change things around & give the reader a new perspective, but don't slap some half-assed plot onto the market & call it Cinderella REMADE because it has a wicked stepmother in it.

IMO, there wasn't anything to really differentiate Ash. It could've been any fairy tale, the way Lo wrote it.

message 19: by Casey (new) - rated it 1 star

Casey I agree, this kind of story isn't for me..
When I bought this book I didn't know it was a lesbian cinderella kind of story, so it was a good thing that I skimmed through the book & kept the receipt!

Kristy library read for me, thank goodness!!!

message 21: by Michael (Mai) (new)

Michael (Mai) Well I just removed this from my shelves :D I don't want a half-assed fairy tale.

Kristy good move in my opinion :)

message 23: by Kristen (new) - added it

Kristen Who wants to read the same stories over and over again? This is why writers write.

Why did you pick up a new novel based on the classic fairytale if it sounds like you just wanted to read the Disney version? Then for you to decide what is "acceptable" or not in any sort of fiction? Ridiculous.

Certainly everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and if a writer isn't a good writer that's one thing, but your original review is close-minded and insulting to GLBT fiction.

Kristy I certianly don't want to read the same stories over and over again. I had no idea what I was picking up when I started this one.... so, if I didn't like it that's my own personal decision. Please don't come on my review and try to start a fight!!

message 25: by Denise (new)

Denise Kristy,
Thank you so much for your review on this. I just picked this up at Barnes and Noble for my teen daughter who loves to read fairy tale rewrites. After reading the back cover it seemed like it would be fine. However, since I read your review, I am now taking it back. My many, many thanks.

Denise

Kristy no problem ;)

message 27: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten I find it interesting that you are reading fairytale re-tellings when you're apparently very purist about what fairy tales are supposed to be like.

Kristy I just think they are some aspects that should stay true to the actual story you are retelling!!! Purist, maybe. But, it's just my opinion.

Shera (Book Whispers) There are so many types of fairytale re-tellings that you kind find you own niche.

Personally I don't mind a lesbian romance, but not in my fairytales. Too each there own. It's nice to have a review out there that states that it cleary has a lesbian romance, because the book gives you no warning.

message 30: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica LMAO XD The last pic is my favorite ^^

Kristy People always told me be careful of what you do
And don't go around breaking young girls' hearts
She came and stood right by me
Then the smell of sweet perfume
This happened much too soon
She called me to her room

Billie Jean is not my lover
She's just a girl who claims that I am the one
But the kid is not my son

hehehehehehe

message 32: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica Hahahaha XD

message 33: by Kim (new)

Kim Right now, I'm doing what Jess is doing ^^

Kristy Yes, I have strived to be the goodreads class clown!!! ;) hahaha

message 35: by Morgan (new) - added it

Morgan F In the wake of her father’s death, Ash is left at the mercy of her cruel stepmother. Consumed with grief, her only joy comes by the light of the dying hearth fire, re-reading the fairy tales her mother once told her. In her dreams, someday the fairies will steal her away, as they are said to do. When she meets the dark and dangerous fairy Sidhean, she believes that her wish may be granted.

The day that Ash meets Kaisa, the King’s Huntress, her heart begins to change. Instead of chasing fairies, Ash learns to hunt with Kaisa. Though their friendship is as delicate as a new bloom, it reawakens Ash’s capacity for love—and her desire to live. But Sidhean has already claimed Ash for his own, and she must make a choice between fairy tale dreams and true love.

Entrancing and romantic, Ash is an empowering retelling of Cinderella about choosing life and love over solitude and death, where transformation can come from even the deepest grief.

You don't get a lezzie vibe from that?

Shera (Book Whispers) Hmmmm . . . I guess not. Now that some ones told me I can kind of pick up on it.

message 37: by Morgan (last edited Jan 13, 2011 02:05PM) (new) - added it

Morgan F Yeah, honestly I heard about the book (and its scandalous nature) before I read the synopsis. I can't be positive I would have picked up on it beforehand.

Kristy I just checked it out from the library and didn't read the synopsis.... It does say Huntress, but I might have looked over that just quickly skimming the back....

message 39: by Michael (Mai) (new)

Michael (Mai) "I had a hard time getting into this in the beginning, then the middle hooked me for a hot minute, but the end is such a hot mess I can't even go there!! I expected more Fairies, more darkness, more love (in male form). I got nothing of the sort!! Blek, I do NOT reccomend this!! "

This is from the review. I don't think it's homophobic. If you don't like a book because it's not what you expect then you don't like the book it doesn't mean you are against gay love.

Personally, I'm bi and I don't really want to read a book about Cinderella falling in love with another woman, especially a huntress. But if she turned out to be princess I'd probably give it a try.

Kristy thank you!!! I swear I was just referring to the book, not my feelings on the GLBT community.
It's just a book ;)

Kristy I had to make that go away... I'm not feeling all the negativity!!

message 42: by Monet (new)

Monet St. Louis haha! i feel bad for you! i was looking forward to reading this too. no where did it mention a lesbian lover! my friend warned me before i read it though

Kristy I wish I would have known about that little 'suprise'.... :)

message 44: by Alicia (new)

Alicia So is the book itself bad or are you just a homophobic?

Kristy The book is bad in my opinion. I'm not homophobic. You don't even know she is a lesbian until close to the end and I wasn't enjoying it beforehand.

message 46: by Alicia (last edited Apr 19, 2011 08:18PM) (new)

Alicia The expecting more love in male form comment made it pretty hard to tell. I'm going to give it a go. Most negative comments I see also mention the female lover, or whatever. Which is surprising, since you mention it's not until towards the end.

Kristy Good, you might really like it.... This was just my opinion, not what I think anyone else should feel. Happy reading.

Hannah Homophobic much?

Kristy Did you bother reading the whole review/comment feed or did you just want to start a fight?!?!?

"I had a hard time getting into this in the beginning, then the middle hooked me for a hot minute, but the end is such a hot mess I can't even go there!! I expected more Fairies, more darkness, more love (in male form). I got nothing of the sort!! Blek, I do NOT reccomend this!!"

"The book is bad in my opinion. I'm not homophobic. You don't even know she is a lesbian until close to the end and I wasn't enjoying it beforehand."

Romita Puruswani I agree with you on each and every point. a lesbian fairy tale - UGH!! this just ruined cinderella for me!!! Will have to read all the other re -tellings to get my mind outta this...I so hoped Ash would fall for sidhean if not the prince..not Kaisa of all people..

« previous 1 3