Stephanie G's Reviews > Invincible

Invincible by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Nov 02, 2010

Read in April, 2011

Invincible starts where Infinity left off. Nick Gautier has just battled zombies and is given no time to lick his wounds. Nick must start learning to use his powers and quickly before his enemies find him. As if that wasn't enough pressure to place on his 14 year old shoulders, his new principle is looking for a reason to kick Nick out of his privileged school and the new football coach plans on using Nick off the field in order to accomplish his wicked plan. His classmates are being murdered and if Nick doesn't learn how to tap into his immense and unknown powers, he may be next.

Nick is forced to face the reality that there are dangerous creatures who don't just want him dead. The demons want his very soul and the vast powers that he never knew he had. He is also told that the choices he makes will sway him to become someone good or the will be the one to bring about the end. This is a lot for anyone to hear and Nick understandably has his moments of doubt and wishes he could pass this responsibly to another. But he stays true to who he is and his character. He's a teenager so he says and does things that will grate anyone's nerves but he is selfless in his actions and is a better person than a lot of adults. Nick's been dealt a bad hand with a murderous demon father and lives in poverty with his mother but he hasn't lost his sense of humor and everything that makes him one of my favorite characters.

Caleb and Nekoda return as Nick's protectors. Caleb started protecting Nick because he had to, which he still does, but I believe he's starting to actually care for Nick like a friend. Nekoda had a set opinion about Nick at first but like Caleb, she too has fallen for Nick's lovable personality. I'm interested to see how these two change as the series goes along. I'm a big fan of Kenyon's Dark Hunter series and I was excited to see familiar faces. Kyrian, Acheron, Simi, several Peltiers and more make an appearance. I didn't think any of their scenes were long enough.

Demons have begun to hunt Nick. A large part of the book is spent on others teaching him how to tap into his powers so he can defend himself while imparting on him the importance of his actions. I felt the demon attacks ended to quickly and the story involving the new coach really threw off the momentum of the book. Yes, it does tie in to the main plot of the story but I wouldn't have missed it if it was left out of the book. This book had a darker feel to it than its predecessor. It seems both humans and paranormal creatures of all types are plotting against Nick and I understand that he's to become a very powerful and important part of the Dark Hunter world, but it seemed like too much too soon. Though this wasn't my favorite book in the series, I still enjoyed Invincible. Nick's humor, love for his mother, devotion to his friends and determination to never give up is what draws me to this series. I look forward to seeing seeing what bazaar situations he and his friends find themselves in next.
-Stephanie
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Invincible.

04/05/2011 page 295
70.0% "Poor Nick. I just want to give him a hug :-("

Comments (showing 1-6)

dateUp arrow    newest »

message 6: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa Is this as good as the first?
I love her DH books, Nick was a good book,so i am hoping this one is good too?

Stephanie  G Not as good as the first book but I still really liked it.

message 4: by Lisa (new) - added it

Lisa thanks good to know

message 3: by Shannon (new)

Shannon are these stand alone books or do they sort of follow her DH books..

Stephanie  G These can be read as stand alone books but I think they'd be more enjoyable if you read the DH series because then you'd have a connection with some of the familiar characters that make appearances in Nick's series.

message 1: by Shannon (new)

Shannon that is what I thought.. thank you for the information.. I have been reading her DH series but there are so many and well I can not read all of them back to back or else I would get sick of them.