Adam Dalva's Reviews > Swann's Way

Swann's Way by Marcel Proust

My first time with this translation - I think that, in the end, it's an improvement on the Moncrieff (though I'm biased because LD was a professor of mine). If you switch back and forth as you read, there's a power and directness and lucidity here that just doesn't exist in other translations of Proust. I'll continue experimenting with the alternative translations as I make my way through the seven volumes, though obviously the Moncrieff sets a high bar.

And what about Swann's way, itself? There are moments of such extreme insight and beauty here that it's impossible to rate it lower than 5 stars, but the meandering got to me this time through, as did some of the lengthier music/art essays, as did, most of all, the really striking anti-lesbian attacks. It is difficult to maintain focus, but it's worth it for the highlights - the mother's kiss; Gilberte in the park; Monsieur Legrandin's rippling ass, the arrical of automobiles.

And most of all, if Proust had only ever written Swann in Love (an interpolated novel that makes up about 40% of this volume), he would still be considered an all-timer. What a hilarious, dancing, luminous confection. What insights on the full course of love. Or, as he himself would simply say - how delicious.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Swann's Way.

Started Reading