Monique's Reviews > The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales

The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales by Jon Scieszka

Nov 01, 2010

it was ok
bookshelves: children-s, illustrated, compilations

I took a short break away from "The Pillars of the Earth" to read this book, which came in the mail yesterday (along with several others). I had been getting restless over "Pillars" (I couldn't continue reading and reading 'til the end because, of course, I have a job) and decided to "stray" for a while. And why not, this book is a mere 5-minute read (maybe 10, if you're one to dawdle over the illustrations) and I was done with it in no time.

"Stinky Cheese Man..." is an illustrated parody and re-telling, with little sick twists, of the classic fairy tales you and I have grown to love over the years. Instead of dear "Little Red Riding Hood", the story is re-titled "Little Red Running Shorts"; instead of "The Princess and the Pea", it's called "The Princess and The Bowling Ball", to name a few. The fairy tale characters as we know them were made darkly comedic, maybe weird for some, but definitely unconventional.

It's supposed to be funny somehow, but I didn't find myself laughing even once (and I'm supposed to be the corniest person I know). Can you imagine the Ugly Duckling realizing, after all this time, that he wasn't going to change into a beautiful swan after all, because he's really just an ugly duckling? The moral lessons that were supposed to have been imparted by some of the stories were obliterated, and I find it puzzling how this book received the Caldecott Honor award.

I'm sure Hans Christian Andersen would be rolling in his grave right about now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Stinky Cheese Man and Other Fairly Stupid Tales.

November 1, 2010 – Shelved
November 2, 2010 – Shelved as: children-s
November 2, 2010 – Shelved as: illustrated
November 3, 2010 – Started Reading
November 3, 2010 – Finished Reading
November 10, 2010 – Shelved as: compilations

message 1: by K.D. (new)

K.D. Absolutely 5-minute read? Is there such a book? Ha ha. Of course, Follett would not mind ha ha. Nice review, Monique!

Monique K.D. wrote: "5-minute read? Is there such a book? "

But there is, K.D., and this is one such! :) It's a really thin one, with large typeset letters and illustrations taking up most of the pages. Not your typical book, that much I can say. :) Thanks for liking the review! :)