Maura's Reviews > The Knight

The Knight by Monica McCarty

** spoiler alert ** Now this little gem of a novella is an angst-fest! I found myself having to set it down for moments at a time just to process the emotions of the characters. Wow. Basically, James is a lord with the ambition of restoring his family name to its rightful place. Jo is the girl he's loved since they were kids. Only, in order to achieve his ambition, he can't marry Jo, who is a lowly Marshal's daughter. So the moment when she realizes he's not going to honor her with marriage (even though he's taken her innocence) and he realizes that she never really understood that she could only be his leman. Well, it's brutal. And my only complaint is that James comes across as so hateful (and I gotta love the heroine for the spine she shows here! No simpering wimp who abandons her beliefs because she's lusting after the hero) that I honestly did not believe he could redeem himself. I'm still a little unsure whether he actually did or not, but he gave it his all. So I left this story satisfied that he had groveled enough...but it was very uncomfortable watching James flounder after he screwed up as badly as he did. I honestly had several moments when I thought the heroine was better off without him and I admit to peeking at the end of the book to see whether he could redeem himself. I'm definitely adding this author to my reading list.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Knight.

Finished Reading