Sandy Williams's Reviews > Ten Things I Love About You

Ten Things I Love About You by Julia Quinn

Nov 01, 2010

bookshelves: historical-romance
Read in November, 2010

** spoiler alert ** More like a 4.5, but what the heck. It's Julia Quinn. I'll round up.

WHAT HAPPENS IN LONDON is my favorite JQ book so far. I was very much looking forward to reading Sebastian's story. And this IS Sebastian's story. I loved the book because of him. Annabelle kind of faded away for me. Sure, her story was interesting - she has to marry for money, but falls for the hot, possibly poor nephew of the icky yet rich propsective husband - but she fell kind of flat, and I think I know why.

Usually, JQ's heroines are feisty, capable females. I think all the feistiness Annabelle should have had was given to Sebastian. He was handsome and funny and clever and witty and debonair and a whole bunch of other adjectives. There aren't really any available adjectives left to describe Annabelle.

But don't get me wrong. I still loved the book. The dialogue was fabulous, and I laughed so hard I had tears in my eyes. Always a good sign!

The one thing that bothered me about the book was the ending - the earl's attempted rape of Annabelle. I did think it was hilarious that he wasn't actually dead, and I loved the grandmother's solution to the problem, but the earl is sent away with barely a slap on the wrist. A slap on the wrist for an attempted rape? That just did not sit well with me, and Annabelle didn't seem to be bothered about it after the fact. She and Sebastian hooked up in the same room that same night, and there really weren't many (any?) negative thoughts toward the earl. I think the only time he was mentioned after he left the room was when he married a widow. It's almost as if it's okay he tried to rape Annabelle since he wasn't actually successful.

So, that was my only problem, but it didn't keep me from giving this book 5 stars. I loved it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ten Things I Love About You.