Donna's Reviews > River Marked

River Marked by Patricia Briggs

Nov 01, 2010

bookshelves: urban-fantasy
Read from March 05 to 06, 2011

When Mercy and Adam, after an exciting but possibly spoilery plot development, take some time away from home, they encounter an ancient threat. It also leads them to a group of Native Americans who may have answers about Mercy's late father as well as her supernatural identity.

By delving so deeply into Mercy's past, Briggs gives this one a different feel than the rest of the books. Something that could have seemed like a ridiculous coincidence was neatly explained, which I appreciated. Mercy is as well-written a character as she always is, and I was happy to see that the romance side of things didn't feel stale even though she's in a settled relationship now.

The new characters were okay, but only one of them really stood out. I look forward to them getting back to the regular crowd. The more mystical elements of the story also led to some odd pacing issues for me.

I can't say its my favorite of the Mercy books despite the knockout beginning, but it's still a good, solid entry in the overall series.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read River Marked.