Alejandro's Reviews > Lords of the Sith

Lords of the Sith by Paul S. Kemp

bookshelves: novel, star-wars, science-fiction, politics, military, horror, espionage, media-tie-in
Recommended to Alejandro by: Marcus Hutchens

The Dark Side of the Force is strong in this book!

This story is considered officially canon by Lucasfilms in the newly established canon

This story is set 5 years after the events of “Star Wars – Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

APEX PREDATORS

We are all of us, always being tested, my friend. Tests make us stronger, and strength is power, and power is the point. We must pass all the tests we face… Or die in the effort.

This is not a story about heroes...

This is a story about VILLAINS...

..., and therefore, it could be pointless to expect that heroes would win in here. Maybe they will have some small victories, maybe some won’t be that small after all, but a definite victory? Oh, no, these are dark times, the Galactic Empire is at its prime, and any rebel scum will be crushed!

Once as a Jedi, he had meditated to find peace. Now he meditated to sharpen the edges of his anger.

The Empire is flourishing and it won’t stand any intent to form rebel groups.

On Ryloth, homeworld of the Twi’lek species (those aliens with headtails) is rising the Free Ryloth Movement under the leadership of Cham Syndulla (who appears in the CGI animated series of Clone Wars and he is the father of Hera Syndulla (one of the main characters in the current CGI animated series of Star Wars: Rebels). Ryloth is relevant to the Empire for two things: an ore which is key in several Imperial applications; and a “spice” which is useful for narcotic purposes.

The Emperor suspects that the rising Free Ryloth Movement has been that effective in its attacks due having access to confidential Imperial information thanks to a traitor, even more likely more than one traitor. So, the Emperor will set the mother of all traps to lure out the freedom fighters.

Lord Darth Vader AND The Emperor Palpatine will travel together in an Imperial Star Destroyer to Ryloth.

If Vader and the Emperor are killed, the Empire will have an irreparable blow.

The bait indeed is too tempting for the Free Ryloth Movement, and they will use all its available resources, troops and technology, to do the unthinkable...

...to attack an Imperial Star Destroyer AND killing Vader along with the Emperor!

However, the ragtag freedom fighters haven’t a clue of how powerful is Darth Vader and certainly nobody knows that the Emperor is in reality a Sith Lord too, and more powerful than Vader!

The freedom fighters pretend to hunt down Vader and the Emperor, as if they would be easy preys, but Vader and the Emperor aren’t preys at all, they are predators, and...

...between all apex predators in the galaxy...

...they are THE Apex Predators. They are the Sith Lords!

IMPERIALS VS IMPERIALS VS REBELS

Sometimes it’s possible for a decision to be right and wrong at the same time.

This novel, while being about evil, is REALLY GOOD!!!

And the best part is that obviously Darth Vader and the Emperor Palpatine are the main characters, Paul S. Kemp, the author, did an extraordinary work developing the other characters, making them as relevant and as interesting than Vader and Palpatine. Even when you think that you already figured out some of those characters, you are exposed to another facet of them, making them deeper and truly tridimensional characters.

Ryloth is a bonfire of a power struggle where the heat will reach everybody, Imperials, Rebels and even... innocent bystanders. Remember, this is a story about evil, about villains.

Moff Delian Mors, a female moff, with the jurisdiction of the Ryloth system, after the death of her wife, lost her way and has been careless in her duties.

Colonel Belkor Dray, second-in-command of Imperial forces in the Ryloth system, he is an ambitious officer who is playing a very dangerous double game between Imperials and Rebels with the clear objective of becoming the new moff there.

Major Steen Burkas, relegated to command a communications hub, in the middle of nowhere, in the Equatorial zone of Ryloth, will find his area too populated suddenly for multiple parties, some of them with fearsome ranking.

Cham Syndulla, he is the leader of the Free Ryloth Movement, however he doubts each day if he is doing the right thing, is he truly a freedom fighter or just a terrorist? Is the greater good enough to justify any action?

Isval, right hand of Cham Syndulla in the Free Ryloth Movement, she is a former slave, formidable hand-to-hand fighter, and now she is the best card in the dangerous hand that Cham is playing to see finally the freedom of his homeworld.

All these characters, with their own private agendas, many of those in conflict with the ones of the others, will be tested to the fullest when Lord Darth Vader and the Emperor Palpatine will enter deeply into their lives.

Master.

Lord Vader,

...Did you consider allowing me to die to realize your own ambition?

I did, but only a moment.

Good,... ...Very good.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lords of the Sith.

May 21, 2015 – Started Reading
May 27, 2015 – Shelved as: horror
May 27, 2015 – Shelved as: espionage
May 27, 2015 – Finished Reading
January 6, 2016 – Shelved as: media-tie-in

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)

Aj the Ravenous Reader It must be a refreshing reading experience to read something that focuses on the villains. Awesome review, Kuya Alejandro!^^

message 2: by Aditi (new)

Aditi Nice review

message 3: by Igor (new)

Igor Ljubuncic Actually, an Inigo Montoya quote would be spot on here:

You were my father,
Prepare to die.

Igor

message 4: by Jeff (new)

Jeff The "force" was with you for this review, Alejandro! :)

message 5: by Pearl (new)

Pearl Angeli Amazing review as usual Kuya Alejandro. ;)

Marcus Hutchens Great review Alejandro!! I agree completely =] Does this rank up there with your favorite SW books? I think the only SW book I've liked more is A New Dawn

Alejandro Aj the Ravenous Reader wrote: "It must be a refreshing reading experience to read something that focuses on the villains. Awesome review, Kuya Alejandro!^^"

Indeed it's quite different, it's curious how some of the popular sci-fi/fantasy book series have several option of novels centered on their villains.

Thanks for your kind comments, Aj ;)

Alejandro Aditi wrote: "Nice review"

Thanks, Aditi.

Alejandro Igor wrote: "Actually, an Inigo Montoya quote would be spot on here:

You were my father,
Prepare to die.

Igor"

Hehehe ;) Priceless feedback ;)

Alejandro Jeff wrote: "The "force" was with you for this review, Alejandro! :)"

Hehehe ;) Thanks, Jeff!

Alejandro Pearl wrote: "Amazing review as usual Kuya Alejandro. ;)"

Thank you so much for your very kind comments, Pearl ;)

Alejandro Marcus wrote: "Great review Alejandro!! I agree completely =] Does this rank up there with your favorite SW books? I think the only SW book I've liked more is A New Dawn"

Hi, Marcus! Good question since I asked it myself, mmh...

I think that I still like better "The Courtship of Princess Leia" but of course, it was my very first SW novel, so I have it close to heart, but definitely "Lord of the Sith" takes a very high place, easily the second spot.

message 13: by Florencia (new)

Florencia Great review, Alejandro!!

Alejandro Florencia wrote: "Great review, Alejandro!!"

Thank you, Florencia! So awesome to get again feedbacks from you! I do appreciate it a lot!!!

Kelsi I love your Star Wars reviews! Have you read Lost Stars by Claudia Gray? I'd love to read your thoughts on it. :)

Alejandro Kelsi_Betsy wrote: "I love your Star Wars reviews! Have you read Lost Stars by Claudia Gray? I'd love to read your thoughts on it. :)"

Hi, Kelsi. No, I haven't read (yet) "Lost Stars" but I planned to read it soon.

Thanks a lot for your support to my reviews and your kind comments!

message 17: by Sam (new) - added it

Sam Nice review. I need to get this book!

Old uncle yeah

message 19: by Yaelle (new) - added it

Yaelle Glenn I just finished this book's prequel & I'm stunned at how great it was. I'll have to rewatch the movie, but it's one of the prequels so they must've messed up Something in the script!!

message 20: by Deanna (new)

Deanna Great review, Alejandro!!

Alejandro Paul wrote: "Awesome review... but dammit Alejandro, you keep making me add/buy all these Star Wars books! lol It's all good! Love the reviews and love reading Star Wars! (and Star Trek too!) :)"

Hi, Paul! So sorry for such delayed reply here, and so sorry for making you piling up your wishlists on Star Wars and Star Trek :P Hehehe.

Alejandro Sam wrote: "Nice review. I need to get this book!"

Happy reading! (Sorry for such delayed reply)

Alejandro Yaelle wrote: "I just finished this book's prequel & I'm stunned at how great it was. I'll have to rewatch the movie, but it's one of the prequels so they must've messed up Something in the script!!"

Thanks for your feedbakc here. So sorry for such delayed reply.

Alejandro Deanna wrote: "Great review, Alejandro!!"

You're so kind, Deanna. So sorry for such delayed reply on this one.

message 25: by Gianfranco (new)

Gianfranco Mancini

Alejandro Gianfranco wrote: ""

Good, gooood! ;) Hehehe