Sally Pearce's Reviews > Beneath a Marble Sky

Beneath a Marble Sky by John Shors

F 50x66
Nov 01, 2010

bookshelves: read-in-2010, favorites
Recommended for: Lovers of historical fiction

John Shors wrote a beautiful debut novel with BENEATH A MARBLE SKY! It took me just a wee bit of time to lock into the story, set in the 17th century because I was so unused to the language and cadence of the writing. Once I got past that, I was hooked!

This is the fictional story of the building of the Taj Mahal; the reason for it and the characters Shors calls up (based on a great deal of research) that made it happen. Of course it is fiction, but you'll wonder. It is a true love story in so many senses. I absolutely loved it and can't wait to read his next books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beneath a Marble Sky.

November 1, 2010 – Shelved
November 15, 2010 – Started Reading
November 16, 2010 –
page 45
13.08% "This one is beginning to get interesting. I'm not really into the 17th century but this got such good reviews."
November 16, 2010 –
page 100
29.07% "I'm hooked! The use of language is strange to me, but perhaps appropriate for the setting, but I'm hooked."
November 18, 2010 –
page 165
47.97% "I love this book! It isn't a fast read, but soooo good."
November 21, 2010 –
page 260
75.58% "Should be done, but illness yesterday put everything on hold. Great book!"
November 23, 2010 – Shelved as: read-in-2010
page 308
page 308
November 23, 2010 – Finished Reading
June 14, 2011 – Shelved as: favorites

message 1: by Rusty (new) - added it

Rusty Looks like a good one. I have this one on my WL. Someday...

Sally Pearce Thanks, Rusty! It was a fabulous read!

message 3: by Rusty (new) - added it

Rusty Glad to hear it. Guess I'll add it to my PBS WL, too. Thanks!

John Thanks, Sally, for your nice review. I'm delighted to see that you enjoyed my novel!

My very best wishes to you. - John

message 5: by Vicar (new)

Vicar Sayeedi Thanks, Sally. I'm looking forward to reading BAMS, as well.

I recently stumbled across the book as I was publishing my new novel, "Legacy of The Peacock Throne" - a work of historical fiction about the lives of Jahanara's parents, Shah Jahan and Mumtaz - and I was really surprised. Best wishes.

Vicar... (Goodreads Author)