Sara's Reviews > Dreams of Gods and Monsters

Dreams of Gods and Monsters by Laini Taylor

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy, long-books, multiple-povs, world-building-love, young-adult

The war between the chimaera and the seraphim takes a frightening final turn in Dreams of Gods and Monsters. Jael, the new seraph emperor, has brought the conflict to Earth - to implore humanity for help against the "Beasts." Now, Karou and Akiva find themselves on the same side again, and must maintain a tenuous alliance between their armies in order to defeat the enemy they share. Blood will be shed. Betrayals will unfold. Unfathomable choices will be made. And in the midst of it all, a mysterious stain bruises the sky, bringing a deep foreboding to Eretz - and a certain seraph might be its cause. Will Karou and Akiva's long-held hope for a world remade - and for a love rekindled - be enough? Or will it all be in vain?

In some ways, I'm not sure what to make of Dreams. I still love the characters, Taylor's writing is still breathtaking, and the humor is just as uproarious as before. I also like new POV character Eliza, who plays a much bigger role than being humanity's eyes to the "apocalypse." However, the literary style and frequent POV switches hindered the storytelling this time around. The first 100 pages dragged, later scenes were slow and overwritten, and some subplots seemed unnecessary. I also still can't grasp the godstars concept; it doesn't seem to affect the ending.

The parts of Dreams that did work, though, sparkled with magic. The paranoia on Earth as Jael's angel army descends, the tenderness and tension between Akiva and Karou, the quivering suspense between their allied forces and how it could break at any moment - and, most importantly, an ending that allowed my heart one final leap of joy. So, yes, I enjoyed Dreams of Gods and Monsters. Not as much as the first two books in the Daughter of Smoke and Bone Trilogy, but it doesn't change how grateful I am for reading - and falling madly in love with - this series.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dreams of Gods and Monsters.

May 24, 2015 – Shelved
May 24, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
January 8, 2016 – Started Reading
January 8, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
January 9, 2016 –
page 38
6.2% "Gosh, the second book I'm tackling in 2016 is 600+ pages? I'm going to need protein bars and Gatorade. :S"
January 10, 2016 –
page 114
18.6% "Kind of struggling with this one so far. I still love the writing and the characters, but the pacing is painfully slow. Not a lot has happened up to this point yet."
January 11, 2016 –
page 213
34.75% "OK. Stuff is finally happening - although it's not "chimaera and rebel seraphim starting the apocalypse" stuff, but it finally feels like things are moving along.\n \n Also, something needs to be done about Ten-Haxaya. As in "chimaera-must-die-and-her-soul-left-to-float-away." I know. I'm awful. XD"
January 11, 2016 –
page 313
51.06% "Well. I had a feeling Akiva was unknowingly responsible for that... This book isn't surprising me the way the first two had. And yet I'm still mesmerized (though, again, not as much as I was with DoSaB and DoBaS).\n \n Random question: Has anyone accidentally mixed up the acronyms for Books 1 and 2 before? *lol*"
January 12, 2016 –
page 387
63.13% "Wait. So... what's happening in Eretz right now? I'm sure what's going on up there is just as important as what's going on down on Earth.\n \n In much happier news, though, Karou and Akiva. <3"
January 14, 2016 –
page 463
75.53% "Um... that seems a lot easier than it should have been. But there's still 150-ish pages left, so maybe there's a twist coming...\n \n Also... What. Is. Going. On. IN ERETZ???? It's been 100+ pages since we had a POV chapter from someone up there. Either nothing's happening, or everyone up there is dead. I hope it's not the latter. :("
January 15, 2016 –
page 540
88.09% "Lucky Ziri. :) \n \n I'm curious, though. There are 70-ish pages left, and it seems like everything has been wrapped up. Please don't tell me something bad is going to happen to one of the major characters..."
January 16, 2016 – Finished Reading