Sara's Reviews > Days of Blood and Starlight

Days of Blood and Starlight by Laini Taylor

Acting Rating: 4.5 out of 5

Days of Blood and Starlight finds star-crossed lovers on opposing sides of a centuries-old war. Human-chimaera Karou has replaced her mentor Brimstone as her people's resurrectionist but feels their trust in her is cracking. The angel Akiva, on the other hand, returns to his army with embers of a dream and the beginnings of a plan. Unfortunately, the chimaera's and seraphim's leaders seem to have their own ideas for the war... So, when all is revealed and fate reunites Karou and Akiva, they must decide what they're most willing to fight for: peace between their races, or ultimate destruction that could impact both Eretz and Earth.

This sequel is nothing like its predecessor. Daughter of Smoke and Bone was a whimsical, incandescent tale of love and identity - with a knife-in-heart ending that told me not to expect the same next time around. Now I'm thankful for that mental preparation. Days of Blood and Starlight is dark, bleak, and brutally bloody and violent in parts. It's a war story that shows how far one will go to save what and whom they love. The story's world is greatly expanded upon, sweeping readers from the chimaera's final hiding spots in Eretz, to the ominously beautiful seraph capital of Astrae, to Earth once again and the exotic kasbahs of Morocco. New points of view are brought in as well, allowing us to connect with new characters (I might be a tad in love with Ziri *blushes*), embrace old friends (Zuzana + Mik = HYSTERICAL), and see other returnees from a new perspective (it took a while, but Liraz grew on me).

What hasn't changed? Laini Taylor's imaginative flair, vividly rendered world-building, and stunning prose, of course. I had called her a sorceress of words in my review of Daughter, and I still stand by that title now. While I did miss the romance from the first book, my only real complaint about Days is how a couple chimaera attacks on seraphim were mentioned and then dropped completely. Why no reactions like horror, grief, or bewilderment from the victim race? Otherwise, this was a gripping second installment to a trilogy that's quickly becoming one of my all-time favorites.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Days of Blood and Starlight.

May 24, 2015 – Shelved
May 24, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
January 2, 2016 – Started Reading
January 2, 2016 –
page 83
16.18% "Getting back to this trilogy makes me ALL kinds of happy that I just can't describe. :D :D :D"
January 3, 2016 –
page 165
32.16% "I love how this book focuses on Eretz and expands on the conflict between the seraphim and the chimaera. Also liking Akiva's small shows of rebellion. Makes me scared of what might happen if... No. I'm not going to think about that. It won't happen - which obviously means it WILL happen. *bites her fingernails*"
January 4, 2016 –
page 221
43.08% "Oh dear. I don't think the chimaera will be too pleased with their newest "visitors"...."
January 5, 2016 –
page 305
59.45% "Wow. I am FLYING through this book. Then again, I finished DoSaB very quickly (by my standards), but this one is about 100 pages longer... and I love it so far. :)\n \n Also, forgot to mention this earlier: Brownie points for the Monty Python & The Holy Grail reference!! :D"
January 6, 2016 –
page 368
71.73% "My only criticism so far is that one particular war event (carried out by the chimaera against the seraphim) doesn't seem to have evoked any reaction whatsoever from the seraphim. It's as if it happened, then was completely forgotten. Hmmmm.... That's my only criticism of this book so far."
January 7, 2016 –
page 432
84.21% "I was going to say how glad I am that a particular character just died... But this is the chimaera we're talking about here. They never truly die. :S\n \n Also, I just re-read my status update from yesterday... I must have been really exhausted to have written the same sentence twice without realizing it. XD"
January 8, 2016 – Finished Reading