Petra X's Reviews > The Selfish Gene

The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins

If you are bored look up the Community Reviews, sort by 1-star. They are very entertaining. One of them as a uni professor advising a student to burn down the book store where they bought this book. Then we have the creationists, then the person who thinks it is all a capitalist manifesto. There are those who think he is arrogant, depraved, uses philistine language (!) ...

How can anyone be a creationist and not believe in dinosaurs and such? Do they believe that the earth is flat? Are they the sort of people who pay astrologers money to cast their charts because of course your fate is determined by the stars at the moment of your birth? Jesus wept. Or he would have. I'm reading Josephus at the moment, it seems that the only mention of Jesus at the time he was living was in Josephus but that it might have been added later... That's a whole other story, and one which Dawkins might have liked, but these one-star creationists certainly won't.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Selfish Gene.

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)

message 1: by Robert (new)

Robert Davis I wish I could go one singe day without "God" or religion or anything ideological creeping into my life. It's everywhere. You can't escape it. It is insidious. Go ahead, I dare you. See how long it takes for some religious reference to make it's way into your life, whether it be from the media, an icon on the street, or just somebody in passing. When they say, "God is everywhere" what they really mean is you can't escape it, no matter how much you would like to or how hard you try.

message 2: by Petra X (new) - added it

Petra X Robert wrote: "I wish I could go one singe day without "God" or religion or anything ideological creeping into my life. It's everywhere. You can't escape it. It is insidious. Go ahead, I dare you. See how lo..."

You are in the US, it's pretty bad there. The Caribbean is much worse as far as Christianity goes. I can't even say to someone in the shops something like how are you without quite likely getting a reply that involves God.! The UK is better, much less superstitious/religious. Since preachers aren't allowed to have scamming fundraising tv programmes they don't bother with having any. Mind, there is a particular religious group who are very forceful in their demands for the majority adapting to them - although I am not sure if that is how it is or if it is the media whipping up trouble. Whatever. I agree with you too much ideological noise.

message 3: by Robert (last edited May 24, 2015 01:06PM) (new)

Robert Davis I think I know who/what you mean by "particular religious group"

message 4: by Petra X (new) - added it

Petra X Of course you do. It's one of the reasons I have friends-only commenting on my reviews. The trolling got a bit much. It was mostly by people who had chosen screen/sock puppet names to reflect their identification.

message 5: by Robert (new)

Robert Davis It would be nice if we had a "block/ignore" button here, to control the trolls. I guess, the more popular you are, the more crap you get.

message 6: by Petra X (new) - added it

Petra X Maybe. It's not popularity, it's more being known. Especially as an anarchic, existentialist tribal Jew who has strong opinions.

message 7: by Sorento62 (new)

Sorento62 "an anarchic, existentialist tribal Jew who has strong opinions."
Love your self-description.

message 8: by Petra X (new) - added it

Petra X Sorento62 wrote: ""an anarchic, existentialist tribal Jew who has strong opinions."
Love your self-description."

Hmm, on reflection it makes me sound a lot harder than I am. I'm small with a curly-girlie look and people are forever being surprised I have any brains. I think I look like the redhead version of the dumb blonde, lol.

message 9: by Sorento62 (new)

Sorento62 Ah, but on Goodreads we see mostly your words/opinions/braininess. Not your physical appearance.

message 10: by Petra X (new) - added it

Petra X What you mean you don't think I look like Lady Gaga a bubbly pink sock puppet with excitingly sexy red lips?

message 11: by Robert (new)

Robert Davis I think people are fooled by that big stogie you are always inhaling. o_0

message 12: by Petra X (new) - added it

Petra X Smokin' hot!

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

message 14: by Robert (new)

Robert Davis Sidharth wrote: "That is a sock puppet! I though it was some cartoon of a she-dog. And Robert is right. I always thought you were an old lady."

Hey... I never called her an "old lady!" Oh, you mean because of the cigar. I find it attractive.

message 15: by Petra X (last edited May 25, 2015 05:06PM) (new) - added it

Petra X Sidharth wrote: "That is a sock puppet! I though it was some cartoon of a she-dog. And Robert is right. I always thought you were an old lady."

I am an old lady but I don't look it! Not unless I have a stogie anyway :-)

message 16: by Joe (new)

Joe Creationists and economic liberals make strange bedfellows sometimes.

message 17: by Petra X (new) - added it

Petra X Joseph wrote: "Creationists and economic liberals make strange bedfellows sometimes."

I don't really understand. Explain please.

Peter Tillman >If you are bored look up the Community Reviews, sort by 1-star. They are very entertaining. ...

message 19: by Petra X (new) - added it

Petra X Peter wrote: ">If you are bored look up the Community Reviews, sort by 1-star. They are very entertaining. ...

Well, *yours* certainly are. And I sorted them from the bottom up, and happened to start here... ;-}"

Thanks