Larry Killion's Reviews > The Obedience of a Christian Man

The Obedience of a Christian Man by William Tyndale

bookshelves: bible-commentary, christian, history

The Obedience of a Christian Man. By William Tyndale.

Most folks know of William Tyndale as the man who translated the first English Bible, which - with certain royal guidelines, was used to transcribe the 1611 edition authorized by King James. The “Obedience of a Christian Man” was a primer on Christian living that was used to spark what is called the English Reformation. It is a practical book on how we are to live as believers. Children are to obey their parents, servants are to obey their masters and husbands are to love their wives as Christ loved His Congregation. The wife is to be in subjection to her own husband as the Congregation is to Christ, and the King is to rule in God’s stead over the realm according to the Law of God, not after his own imagination. Tyndale wrote in the days when the “divine right of the King” was the mindset. The idea of Natural Law (which agrees with scripture) is the best rule for the commonwealth of society was only beginning to develop. In America, since 1776, the so-called “divine right of the King” belongs to WE THE PEOPLE. Tyndale taught that if the secular rulers command us to do evil, we are to disobey saying we are commanded otherwise of God. He also exposed the hypocrisy and wickedness of the powerful religious institution in control at that time and how the leaders of that hierarchy set aside the holy scripture for their lies and man made traditions.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Obedience of a Christian Man.

Finished Reading