Chris's Reviews > Indexing

Indexing by Seanan McGuire

liked it
bookshelves: 2015, fairy-tale, from-library, done, contemporary-fantasy

3.5 stars. Good contemporary fantasy about the ATI Management Bureau, an agency devoted to keeping fairy tale narratives from gaining power and warping reality. First person narrator and ATI team leader Henrietta Marchen is herself a Snow White in abeyance. (Maybe it was just me, but I definitely wondered if this story was inspired by the Thursday Next novels of Jasper Fforde.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Indexing.

Quotes Chris Liked

Seanan McGuire
“That’s the nature of stories. No one ever gets to know the entire thing. We just get to know the parts we have to deal with right here, right now. Before they rip our throats out.”
Seanan McGuire, Indexing

Seanan McGuire
“I am an archivist. I am a librarian. I collect words because words are the truest and longest-lasting craft in the world.”
Seanan McGuire, Indexing

May 23, 2015 – Started Reading
May 23, 2015 – Shelved
May 23, 2015 –
page 12
2.97% "Hmm. This reminds me an awful lot of a Thursday Next novel."
May 24, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

message 1: by Vivian (new)

Vivian I have a couple Thursday Next's on my shelf giving me stink eye. Actually there's a pile on the top shelf of the bookcase that is definitely NOT earthquake appropriate. Oops.

Chris D'oh! Don't get crushed beneath a stack of unread books!

Ashley *Hufflepuff Kitten* Just from the blurb, this reminded me of Thursday Next. I'll probably give this one a shot too eventually :)

Nicole There may be similarities between Thursday Next and these (I haven't read the Fforde, so I can't say for sure) but I would guess that McGuire found the actual fairy tale index and that sparked the idea. (For reference, the index is here)

Chris Maybe!