Alex's Reviews > Sort of Stranger Than Fiction

Sort of Stranger Than Fiction by Josh Lanyon

Nov 01, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: short-story, romance, queer, suspense, humor

Overall
The subhead of this story should have been "Not Just Another Murder Mystery," in keeping with Lanyon's humor, which I appreciate. Our main character is the classic bookstore owner (Ethan), who runs shop mostly so he can read the books he keeps stocked. He lives in a small town of under 500 residents and is gay...not a good combination for romance! However, there are some new arrivals to the town: a candy shop owner, a dojo owner, and a series of mysterious deaths.

When he's not embarrassing himself with Michael, the dojo owner, Ethan's dealing with Kyle, a member of his writer's circle whose serial killer series is a little too real for most residents. When Kyle starts seeking Ethan's attention, Ethan begins to wonder if the lurking man could be the murderer.

Lanyon once again weaves an amusing and enjoyable tale, mixing humor and mystery, which seems an unlikely duo. Although the ending felt abrupt, we weren't left with any unresolved ends, even if it does leave me wanting for more.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sort of Stranger Than Fiction.