Vanessa Wu's Reviews > Total Chaos

Total Chaos by Jean-Claude Izzo

May 23, 2015

Some books shouldn't be rushed. Although Total Chaos is a slim book, written in short, punchy sentences, it is like a rich ragout, brimming with flavours, pungent, concentrated, sensual and intense. It should be savoured slowly. There is a lifetime of experience distilled into it.

At first I struggled. The names of people and places were strange to me. I was reading the English translation but it was an English I couldn't understand. I had no idea who the characters were or what kind of lives they led. Although each sentence meant something in isolation, together they made my head spin and I became confused.

But Jean-Claude Izzo gives you everything you need to know in this novel. It's not his fault if you don't get it. He immerses you in Marseilles, his city. It is a fully realised Marseilles, though not the city the tourists know. He takes you to places tourists have never seen and shows you things you will want to forget.

In a few paragraphs he can sketch out whole lives. He blends and blurs the colours on his canvas like an impressionist painter. A fear-filled teenage scuffle is inseparable from the eroticism of the touch of a woman's breast. Neapolitan songs mingle with Ray Charles and the sounds of old men playing belote. Tomatoes, basil, bay, meatballs, garlic and red wine merge with the scent of the sea as it crashes against the rocks, recalling the stories of Homer and Conrad peddled by an anarchist bookseller on Cours Julien.

This is very specific writing. The plot is dense but fully explained. I understood it finally but I didn't enjoy it until I read the book a second time. Then I fell in love with it.

This is not a thriller. It is a celebration. It is a poem. It is a classic French crime novel. Mediterranean Noir. Making beauty out of chaos.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Total Chaos.

Finished Reading