Bj's Reviews > Frisk Me

Frisk Me by Lauren Layne

bookshelves: arc, 2015, 4-stars

4 "America's Hero" Stars! Being a little late to the Lauren Layne fan club, I only just discovered her writing this year with her release of Crushed (Redemption 2), a title which made my top favorites list. Needless to say, after that first impression, I just knew I had to read her next book, so when I was presented with a review opportunity for Frisk Me, I jumped on it.

Frisk Me, the debut novel in Ms. Layne's New York's Finest Series, contains many of the same attributes that I fell in love with in Crushed: it's funny, witty and touching. The only reason I'm giving this one a four, rather than a five, rating is that whereas I absolutely adored both the hero and heroine in Crushed; I didn't agree with all of the actions of the heroine in Frisk Me. Nonetheless, character flaws and all, Frisk Me is a compelling and entertaining romance which I am happy I had a chance to experience.

What could be more traditional than American apple pie? Why, of course, an honest to goodness American hero in uniform! Ava Sim's news network hopes to capitalize on this popular theme to boost its national ratings by producing a prime time 3-hour special on a NYPD Officer, Luc Moretti. Luc recently gained local notoriety for being captured on film while rescuing a girl from drowning in the East River and shortly thereafter giving a homeless man the jacket off his own back to protect him from inclement weather. Ava is determined to capitalize ratings dream by taking this local story national, and hopefully earn her anchor position in the process. Luc, however, is equally determined to avoid any further publicity, instead reasoning that he was just doing his job.

When it becomes clear, that the mandate for the TV special is coming all the way from the top NYPD brass, who hope to use the story to combat recent negative publicity, Luc is left with no choice but to allow Ava to follow him around for weeks in order to produce footage for the story. Forced to play nice and spend a large amount of time together, the two can't help but feel their mutual chemistry. Ava, however, never being one to be complacent, also can't help but to let her innate talent at investigative journalism shine through. But can two such mutually opposed starting points ever find a way to meet at a HEA in the middle?

All in all, Frisk Me kept me engaged throughout, both with its budding romance as well as the well thought out interactions between Luc and Ava and their respective family members, all of whom seem to have their own agendas. This interconnected interplay will keep you on your toes and rooting for love to win in the end.

Source: Review copy provided in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Frisk Me.

May 22, 2015 – Shelved
July 14, 2015 – Started Reading
July 20, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)

message 1: by Carissa (new)

Carissa Great review, Bj.

message 2: by Bj (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bj Thank you Carissa!

message 3: by Bj (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bj Thank you Carissa!

Peek At My Book Review Fab review Bj ;)

message 6: by Bj (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bj Thank you Alleskelle!

message 7: by Bj (new) - rated it 4 stars

Bj Vrsha (PeekAtMyBookReview) wrote: "Fab review Bj ;)" Thank you Vrsha!