Nancy Wright's Reviews > A Red, Red Rose

A Red, Red Rose by Susan Coryell

A Robert Burns' fan, I was quickly drawn into this captivating novel. I breathed in the roses: their fragrance--and thorns. I identified with Ashby, lover of gothic novels and feminist-dreamer--so vulnerable in her strange room, cut off from her old world. At first I resisted the mysterious ghost, Rosabelle, but soon sensed her "immortality where nothing is ever lost, or dies, or changes." Ah, the romance of it! (not to mention handsome Luke). Ashby brings to mind visionary Catherine in Austen's Northanger Abbey--and my own girlhood with errant horses. When Ashby falls from her horse, I know the pain.
Coryell was wise to make her heroine half "aristocrat Overton" and half "blue collar Mills." Eddie Mills turns out to be more sheep than wolf, but through Eddie we fight the Civil War again. Does love and hate exist in the same family? the author asks. But yes! Her magic pulls us toward an ending that will thrill and chill. A Red Red Rose is a richly plotted novel with a wholly engaging heroine--and so wonderfully written I could see, taste, feel and live each moment of it. Five stars,yes. And a bouquet of roses!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Red, Red Rose.

Started Reading