Sashana's Reviews > Bitter Is the New Black: Confessions of a Condescending, Egomaniacal, Self-Centered Smartass, Or, Why You Should Never Carry A Prada Bag to the Unemployment Office

Bitter Is the New Black by Jen Lancaster

Oct 31, 2010

bookshelves: courtesy-of-my-library, autobiography, full-length-review
Recommended to Sashana by: Heather
Recommended for: People looking for a good laugh

Refreshing, blatantly honest, and funny. I'm tempted to leave this review at that but in the sake of getting the word out about this book I will say more. If you're faint of heart and completely delusional about the realities of life then I suggest you read something else.

Jen says what everyone is thinking and no one has the balls to say. Being a woman, she's obviously labeled a bitch. She lives a good life in an extravagant apartment, has a six figure salary, and is the VP at her company.But wait! That's just the cake and the icing needs to be added; Jen has just been offered a promotion at work-can you say raise?!

But in the midst of her fairytale,life happens. Jen is fired instead of promoted and she is forced to live off the "dole" (aka unemployment). Things aren't too bad because her boyfriend of seven years, Fletch, has a well paying job.

However the economy has come crashing down and pretty soon Fletch is out of a job. Forced to move out of her upscale apartment and into the *gasp!* ghetto, Jen is forced to re-evaluate her life and the financial decisions she had made.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bitter Is the New Black.

October 31, 2010 – Started Reading
November 2, 2010 – Finished Reading
November 25, 2010 – Shelved as: courtesy-of-my-library
April 10, 2011 – Shelved as: autobiography
April 16, 2011 – Shelved as: full-length-review

Heather So, OK, OK, OK, OK, OK, OK, OK, OK, OK, Ok, OK, OK, OK, so, what do you think about it so far?????

Sashana I was really shocked because looking at the reviews I thought Jen would be a huge snob. But honestly there should be more Jens in the world. I couldn't stop laughing!

Heather Yeah, yeah, told you so! You have to read the next one which is Bright Lights, Big Ass. Did you finish it yet?

Sashana I'm going to have to request it today! Yup, I finished Bitter.

Heather For me, the best scene is when Jen is picking up the package and running shirt for her friend's husband. What she does and says to the nasty skinny people there had been LOL! And I loved, loved the scene when she calls her friend drunk and leaves the funniest message on it. That was just too funny!!

Sashana I think the voice mail was one of my favorite scenes too. Honestly though, every page made me laugh. I thought this book was fiction.

Heather I know huh? Well, the fact that she had the balls to write about what it was like at the top but to fall and then learn to walk all over again. I have all of them but the 5th one which is in hb. I borrowed it from a friend but as soon as it comes out in pb, I'll buy it!

Heather Loved the review! Very good and LMK what you think of the 2nd one..

Sashana Thanks Heather :)

message 10: by Milly (new)

Milly Sounds like a good laugh! Adding to the TBR pile! Thanks for the review!

Heather Oh Milly, you won't be disappointed! Let us know what you think of it!!

message 12: by Milly (new)

Milly Will do! Thanks!

Heather And when you can't stop LOL and want to blame someone don't look at me cause I will more than likely ask you if you peed in your pants like I did. Heh-heh..