Magdalena aka A Bookaholic Swede's Reviews > ClownFellas: Tales of the Bozo Family

ClownFellas by Carlton Mellick, III

liked it
bookshelves: read-2015

In all fairness, I did expect clowns more in line of Pennywise from It than the clowns that were in this book. I thought I was reading a horror book, but it was too much humor for it to be called horror (in my opinion) I did like the Clown world and the characters. It was just not what I had expected and also, even though it had its charming moments, I just couldn't really find myself enjoying the whole book. Some parts were better than the other. But I must admit that even though I felt that it wasn't my kind of book wasn't it in any way bad. It was well written and I love the idea of a mafia type of family of clowns. I really liked Little Bigtop and its clown population. But I was just not totally taken with all the stories in the book.

The book has six parts, every part is independent, but they still are connected to the whole story. You can say that every part have a different character that's the focus of the story. I liked the first part best because it was a great introduction Little Bigtop and the Bozo crime family. Earl Berryman, a veterinarian, is on his way to help a lion for Don Bozo. The problem is that he is terrified of clowns. Great story, I love the ending. The rest was also ok, but the one that I felt really wasn’t that interesting to read was Funny Business with Buggy Buttons. You would think that everything going bad for Buttons all the time would be funny, but it just get’s annoying. The last part, the Wedding Day was also a bit weak, but at least the bridezilla made the story a bit fun. I was mostly quite tired of Uncle Jojo and his problems towards the end of the story.

I think Vinnie Blue Nose was the one I liked the best out of all the clowns. Captain Spotty was also alright and of course I must mention Bingo Ballbreaker, he may not be the smartest of all the clowns, but he sure is the hardest to kill.

Would I read more? Yes I would, now that I know that is more humor than horror. I just need to be in the right mood for more. And, I do hope if it will be more Clownfellas books that Vinne Blue Nose will be in it!

I received a copy of this book from the publisher for a blog tour at TLC Book Tours.

Review also posted on A Bookaholic Swede and It's a Mad Mad World

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read ClownFellas.

May 22, 2015 – Shelved