Kellie's Reviews > A Rule Against Murder

A Rule Against Murder by Louise Penny

Oct 31, 2010

bookshelves: 2010-reads, bookclub-books, armand-gamache-series, series

#4 of the Armand Gamache series- This is the first book I have read in the series. The mystery revolves around the death of Julia Morrow. She is part of a family reunion at the resort the Gamache couple is staying at. This very dysfunctional family becomes suspect after Julia is found in the yard of the resort after a storm. The beginning of the book was a bit slow. After about 100 pages, however, I started to get really excited about this book. I love the way the author writes. This is a murder-mystery but the subtle, very dry humor that is dribbled throughout the pages is brilliant. I like the Canadian mountain setting. I don’t think I have read a book that took place in this area. Reminds me so much of the Adirondecks. So, I was traveling down a very exciting path as a reader. Liking the book. But then, it took a turn down Boring Drive. The poetry and art references are not my thing. We left Boring Drive and came back to Interest Lane, but by now, the mystery is slowly being solved so my interest was peaked again. But, sadly, the resolution was disappointing to me. I felt it was a bit rushed and far fetched. With that being said, I still liked the writing. Enjoyed the book. I just didn’t love it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Rule Against Murder.