Matthew Lloyd's Reviews > The Dark Forest

The Dark Forest by Liu Cixin

liked it
bookshelves: published-2015, oxford-county-library

The Dark Forest is a really difficult book to review. As a summary: the first ca. 200 pages or so are absolute rubbish, an utter mess - if The Three-Body Problem hadn't been among the best books I'd read this year, I would have given up before page 200. But then the book begins to get back on track. The middle section is a solid, enjoyable read. The final part is actually a genuinely good science fiction novel, albeit not as spectacular as I recall the first novel being. I suspect that part of the lack of excellence, particularly in this final section, is the change in translator and perhaps some lax editing. The latter I suspect as, on p.14 of the north American edition, there are a number of 0s scattered through the text which clearly do not belong; the former, because some of the terms of phrase are pretty bad English - the tautologous "prehistoric Stonehenge", for example, is used a few times as a simile for space debris, when it really ought to be "space age Stonehenge". I suspect, from his note in the previous novel, Ken Liu would have corrected that. So, if you can stick it out through the first couple of hundred pages, there is a good novel here. But it is not an excellent one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Dark Forest.

May 21, 2015 – Shelved