Jessica's Reviews > The Luxe

202724
Jan 18, 2008

liked it
bookshelves: youngadult

Hmmm. This is an interesting book. It is, as the name implies, very luxe. The gown descriptions are sumptuous, and all the characters are gorgeous, with thick curling hair and full pouty lips. However, I had a hard time figuring out who to root for, as it were. You don't really get deep insights into Elizabeth, ostensibly the heroine, and her handsome lover's thoughts are never known at all. The villainess bitchy girl, the little sister, the rich cad, all get more detailed character development, but I had a hard time getting into them as well, because they weren't immediately likable. By the end, I had some definite favorites, and I am excited to read the sequel and find out what happens to everybody, but it wasn't until the last chapter that I really started to care about the characters. Nonetheless, it's a definite page-turner. From the first chapter I couldn't put it down, waiting to see if my suspicions (it starts out with a funeral and then goes back to the month leading up to the tragic death) were correct.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Luxe.

09/26/2016 marked as: read