Rayni's Reviews > No Place Like Home

No Place Like Home by Mary Higgins Clark

Oct 29, 2010

bookshelves: 2010-reads, fav-authors, mystery
Recommended to Rayni by: Favorite author

I had a hard time deciding between 4 & 5 stars. Decided it was 5 stars. It had me thinking about it even when I wasn't reading it; wondering what would I do.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read No Place Like Home.

October 29, 2010 – Started Reading
October 29, 2010 – Shelved
October 31, 2010 –
page 146
30.93% "The husband seems totally clueless. Perhaps too clueless?"
November 5, 2010 –
page 359
76.06% "Heatin' up. Another death. Don't deaths come in muliple of 3?"
November 6, 2010 – Shelved as: 2010-reads
November 6, 2010 – Shelved as: fav-authors
November 6, 2010 – Shelved as: mystery
November 6, 2010 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Wayne (new)

Wayne This writer seems to be a favourite of yours, Rayni!!!
She seems to be a prolific writer too.
Does she have acommon theme that appeals?
Nice to have a writer you can rely on.
A bit like a friend.

Rayni Yes, she is one of my favorite authors. She is in her 80s & has written several novels. I like her because she chooses not to use strong language, explicit sex or violence in her books. Her heroines are strong, independent women. And, of course, the mystery/suspense genre.

I like the fact that she hears a phrase from a song or reads a headline & goes from there. This book was the result of a real estate agent friend who told her of a state law in New Jersey that says a potential buyer must be told if there is a stigma attached to the property, such as murder, suicide, or such, that could cause psychological damage to the buyer.

message 3: by Wayne (new)

Wayne How really fascinating!!!
What an interesting character.
Like you say,Rayni, Goodreads certainly can educate you, especially if people are ready to chat about their books.
You know I had two 'friends' on Goodreads who BOTH defriended me, but they rarely to never responded to my reviews of my books or theirs, never responded to my comments or questions re what they were reading. I am at a bit of a loss to know what these folk expect.
They certainly trash my concept of 'friend'.I think it means something more like a LEECH to them...ie.Suck your mind and give zilch in return.
I was glad to see the last of them.

message 4: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Hi Rayni,
I enjoyed your review of this book by Mary Higgins Clark. I have read one of her books in the past, and enjoyed it. A friend of mine enjoys her books alot - so Im always looking for her books to give my friend.
Thanks for the comment on my blog!

Rayni @Melissa, you ought to read the books you find for your friend before you pass them on.

@Wayne, ya, I wonder how some people with hundreds of friends can keep track of them. That is not a friend to me. It's more like s/he who dies with the most friends win.

I love chatting about my books or someone elses. An open mind is definitely a must in order to learn.

I had a student walk up to me in one of my adult education computer classes & tell me I couldn't teach him a thing, he knew it all. I told him with that attitude he was right.

message 6: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Ive read one or two of Mary Higgins Clark books, and 2 more on my tbr list.. =)
so many books..! =)

Rayni Yes, I know, too many books & not enough time.