Annina | Blattzirkus's Reviews > The Other Side of Eve

The Other Side of Eve by Paul Ikin

6520584
May 20, 2015

Plot
The Other Side of Eve is a book about Eveline Boots, a thirteen year old Teenager who struggles with anxiety. She copes with it by creating another world within her mind, the world of Princess Belleny Vera. Belleny has to struggle on her own to defeat the evil witch and to safe the kingdom of Mare-Marie by going on the biggest adventure of her life. With her friends, creatures called the Orphans and her new arrived friend, the two-tailed Bateau, she manages it to first free herself from her own created prison and then to overcome her fear of the outside of her home, the castle. But what will she find on the other side of her kingdom, far far away from home? Will she be able to defeat the evil witch and safe Mare-Marie? Will Eve be able to fight and win against her struggling self?

Characters
Before I go on about the plot itself, I need to mention the glorious characters that have found their way into the book. Eve, Milton, Robin, Mr.Brackenback, Cory, Esta from the one world of Eveline and Belleny, Bateau, King Vera, Danté, the Orphans, Gonzo, Kale, Garon and so many more from Mare-Marie itself. There are for sure more characters than I possibly be able to recall now (it’s like with The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, as much as I love these books, I’m not really good with names). You can’t dislike them and each of them teach so many good lessons, it was just so refreshing to read.

Opinion
Finally a story which seems so original im comparison to everything that’s out there (I am talking about YA novels, it seems like there is a problem with these books lately). The world, both Evelines and Bellenys, seems so unique and special, you don’t really get bored about it. Facts, earlier events and mysteries get revealed from time to time and make it fun to read. There won’t be information overload and you are able to discover both worlds. That’s the reason why it got 5 Goodreads stars out of 5. The world building was magical (yet to be able to be built out) and the characters were so nice to get to know and created. You liked every one of them (except for the evil ones, but since they were great too, you hated them in a good way). Plus the way the storylines completed each other in the end was like yeah finally, there’s the big picture! Because from time to time, while reading, I was thinking about how the storylines by Eve and Belleny fitted together. Similarities got revealed from time to time about these two, and that was cool. There was a time I thought that the girls were the same person but Belleny was just a fracture of Evelines personality, but no (You will see if you read the book). Personally I would have liked to see more Eve storyline, but at the same time I understand why there was more of Belleny.

Last but not least, let’s talk about the awesome illustrations and how they completed the book. Not to forget the black and white colors, because they fitted perfectly with Mare-Marie. They also got to help me picturing the creatures a little bit better and eased the text flow (I wanted exactly that style in my bachelor project, but that’s another story to be told).

Me ranting about typos
I put it into an own category, so if you care to read about my rant, go on. If not, leave it.
My only main problem with the book were the typos. Since I’m schooled to be a typography nerd, I see some mistakes probably more easily than others. There were times were the font was slightly bigger (I saw it like three times for speeches and couldn’t really see the point of it so I guess it was a mistake). Then the letters were small when it wasn’t supposed to be so and the main thing that annoyed me at some point were the missing or misplaced quotation marks. I think these things need to be pointed out and corrected if possible. (Also it’s a slight warning for the readers, so yeah). And last but not least the gaps within the words. I know that a perfect justification wants to be achieved BUT the main goal always will be to make the words be able to read as smooth as possible. Sometimes the gaps were to small or too big to read it really nicely. Just saying.

I feel really bad about the rant since the book is really good but it had to be said, sorry

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Other Side of Eve.

May 20, 2015 – Shelved
May 20, 2015 – Shelved as: to-read
June 24, 2015 – Started Reading
June 24, 2015 –
page 16
June 24, 2015 –
page 31
5.25% "Okaaay what did just happen?! That was scary."
June 25, 2015 –
page 142
June 25, 2015 –
24.0% "It's really good so far? It has it's dark edges and the characters are so likeable, even the bossy annoying ones :D For me, the writing is more complexe than for example YA books so it's a bit hard to read but so worth it. (I switched to percent since it seems like goodreads doesn't have a total pagecount (590 it is) for this edition)."
June 26, 2015 –
June 30, 2015 –
July 1, 2015 –
85.0% "Back home it is! (And I prefer Evies storyline…)"
July 1, 2015 –
93.0% "Ready for the final battle / Tomorrowwww"
July 2, 2015 – Finished Reading