Katrina V.'s Reviews > Room

Room by Emma Donoghue

Oct 29, 2010

bookshelves: general-fiction

Jack is your average five years old kid; he loves his mom, his city made out of paper towel and toilet paper tubes, and he especially loves watching his shows on television. The big difference between Jack and five-year-olds you know is that Jack has lived in a 11x11 foot room (endearingly called Room) for his entire life and has never once left it.

Jack’s mother (known to the reader only as Ma) was kidnapped at 19 and has been imprisoned for the 7 years since. She gave birth to Jack (and to a stillborn baby before him) in Room and has done her best to raise him there ever since. In fact, since Jack has never known anything different, he thinks he’s a normal kid. His days are filled with activities that his mom has invented for him – they always make time for exercise, clean Room thoroughly every week, and have specific times for meals and play. And then there are the nighttime visits from “Old Nick,” Ma’s captor and Jack’s father, which bring groceries and treats on Sundays, but also anxiety for Jack, who sleeps in the wardrobe so that Old Nick can’t see him.

As Jack’s fifth birthday comes and goes, Ma decides he is old enough to help her plan for an escape from Room, and from the life that imprisons her but is the only one her son has ever known.
The book is wonderfully written and, despite its dark material, is made funny and touching through the eyes of a five year old.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Room.

Libby I'm interested in reading this, but I have to know (I can't handle it otherwise)--does the little boy end up ok?

Katrina V. Totally. There's really nothing too dark that happens that we really see as a reader. The worst of it is in the past, and through the eyes of a young child.

Libby Ok, then I think I can go for it! Thanks! :-)