Rhonda's Reviews > The BFF Bucket List

The BFF Bucket List by Dee Romito

By the end of the first chapter, I knew I was an Ella and my BFF from eighth grade was definitely a Skyler. And just like Ella and Skyler, we were once faced with the super-scary summer between middle school and high school. When life moves in fast-forward and slow-motion simultaneously and you're desperate to keep the comfortable things the same while exploring new adventures. Dee Romito beautifully captures the essence of these relationships for middle schoolers in The BFF Bucket List.

Ella and Skyler are amazing friends, but they are slowly drifting apart. Hoping to save their friendship, Ella creates The BFF Bucket List. Skyler loves the idea and the girls set out on their super awesome summer adventure. It doesn't take long for new friends and the possibility of being separated in ninth grade to add obstacle-course-level challenges to an already rocky road for the besties.

I love that this book was written in dual points-of-view which allows the reader to develop relationships with Ella and Skyler. I immediately connected with both of the main characters and I saw so much of my middle-school-transitioning-to-high-school experience in their story. The BFF Bucket List touched my heart. It unlocked memories from my childhood as I followed Ella and Skyler on their journey. My BFF from elementary school will always be an important person to me. I wouldn't be who I am today without her and the amazing journey we shared together. Dee's book is a true gift.

I highly recommend The BFF Bucket List to middle-grade readers and anyone who is young at heart. As a teacher, I'm excited to use this book as a discussion tool with my students. It's a great way to explore evolving relationships and to help children understand a friend's point-of-view. Plus, you can create your own bucket list on Dee's website. I made one with my family at the beginning of the summer and we are having a blast checking items off of our list!
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The BFF Bucket List.

May 19, 2015 – Shelved