Shelby *trains flying monkeys*'s Reviews > The Belief in Angels

The Belief in Angels by J. Dylan Yates

liked it
bookshelves: netgalley, read-2015

3.5 strong stars
This book is marked as New Adult. I just don't see it. This book is actually one of the better books marked as that genre that I've ever read.
It's told in alternating viewpoints, Jules story is told with her grandfather's flashbacks. The book is a very slow burn, but it's so worth the time to read it.

Jules story, good grief. I don't know how this kid made it. Her dad is abusive and her mom finally wises up and kicks him out of the house. What happens then? Her mom is a flower child that reverts back to wanting to be a teenager growing up in the 60's. She does drugs, parades men in and out of the house, doesn't buy food. Then she even slips ten year old Jules a hit of LSD in her Raisin Bran because Jules is "square."

The other reason I don't have any friends is I've been having trouble getting along with people. People make me mad. Kind of in general. Like Jo in Little Women, "I am angry nearly every day of my life." When anyone makes me mad, I slug them, which gets me in lots of trouble. I end up spending lots of my recesses standing against the punishment wall instead of running around. Once I even got in trouble standing in detention because I tried to talk to one of the girls in detention with me. She told me her name was Lily and she was "emotionally disturbed." I'm not sure what this means, but I'm curious if I might be too.

Jules as a main character is probably what would make most young/new adults books a better thing for the world. She is strong, gutsy and knows who she is. Even though the whole frigging world around her is absolutely insane. Later on tragedy strikes her and then the book did wobble a bit for me. She lost periods of time and it just wasn't explained well for me.

Then her grandfather, he was left behind when his Jewish parents came to America and they were going to send for the rest of the family once they got there. World War 2 happened then. He bears the guilt for losing some of his family that he was put in charge of keeping safe. He carries that guilt, plus the guilt of denying he was a Jew and denying who he was in order to survive.

This thought makes me angry-angry for his ignorance, his lack of respect, and angry for the arrogance of the modern Jews whose freedom came at such a terrible cost to the generations before them. But this man is not Jewish, I remind myself. No, he is not a Jew at all. This man is a shlekht.
As though my anger has turned to poison, all the numbness in my body melts away and I am filled with a searing, crushing pain that courses from my head through my body and down to the soles of my feet.

This book is about surviving. Its about moving on from the suffering in your life. This book is pretty damn amazing.

Now for the rating I'm giving it. There are some parts of the story that do drag. I wanted the story to move a bit faster at times. Then at times I wanted it to slow down in order to give me a chance to breathe.
Jules did seem too strong at times. I kept wondering if it was usual for a kid to just be so dang strong all the time.

I honestly can't wait to see more from this author.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Belief in Angels.

May 19, 2015 – Shelved
June 6, 2015 – Started Reading
June 8, 2015 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)

message 1: by Vanessa (new)

Vanessa J. Yay for actually good NA books!

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Vane wrote: "Yay for actually good NA books!"

It shocks me everytime. LOL

Aj the Ravenous Reader Sounds like one NA book you wouldn't avoid.^^ Awesome review, Shelby!^^

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Aj the Ravenous Reader wrote: "Sounds like one NA book you wouldn't avoid.^^ Awesome review, Shelby!^^"

:D Thanks AJ

message 5: by Kathe (new)

Kathe L I think I'll really like this haha great review, Shelby :)

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Kathe wrote: "I think I'll really like this haha great review, Shelby :)"

This one was so good. If it hadn't dragged it would have been perfect. It's still worth it.

message 7: by Mara (new)

Mara Wait, what is a new adult?!?

Shelby *trains flying monkeys* Mara wrote: "Wait, what is a new adult?!?"

I can't explain it very well so here is a better example

Every one I've read has had tons of sex and angst. This one had neither.