Angela's Reviews > Self-Editing for Fiction Writers: How to Edit Yourself into Print

Self-Editing for Fiction Writers by Renni Browne

bookshelves: ebooks, non-fiction, recommended, library

Self-Editing for Fiction Writers got recommended on the Facebook group for the Northwest Independent Writer's Association, of which I am a member. So I decided to check it out. By and large, I'm glad I did. I've now written and released five novels, and I've worked with a couple of different editors. And a lot of what I see in this book lines up pretty well with what my best editorial experiences have taught me about my own writing.

Because yes--whether you're planning on querying to traditional publishers or going indie, your work will require an edit pass. Probably multiple edit passes. And if you can't afford to hire your own editor, and/or you don't have handy immediate friends with editing skills in your social circle, you will have to do that editing yourself. This text could do you well as a how-to guide for tackling the job.

Here are some of the things the book discusses that I've learned about in my own editorial experiences: minimizing dialogue tags, and when you actually do need one, it's okay to use 'said', really; minimizing use of dialect for effect, and techniques to capture the cadence of a character's accent without making him or her unreadable; using action beats instead of dialogue tags to convey who's speaking, and how; and all the various ways to think about handling point of view.

There are a lot of exercises in the various chapters as well, on which you can practice. I skipped those, just because I've actually gotten in a fair amount of editing practice at this point, working with my own stuff. But if you haven't edited yourself or someone else's work before, you might try those and see how valuable they are for you. Me, I'll be buying myself a copy of this for reference, now that I've read the library checkout copy. Four stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Self-Editing for Fiction Writers.

May 18, 2015 – Started Reading