Maria Dimitrova's Reviews > Winterkill

Winterkill by Kate A. Boorman

bookshelves: young-adult, fantasy

I picked Wintekill expecting it to be a fantasy novel and up until to last few chapters I was convinced it was. But by the time it was revealed what the malmaci is I was so caught up in the story that I no longer cared! I liked everything about this book (well almost everything) even though there was nothing exceptional - the story itself is quite familiar and I found it easy to slip into that world. There wasn't enough world building in my opinion but considering the setting it can be expected. Some of the themes reflect our present day problems with religious fanatism, blind obedience to authority, self-image, wrestling with your sexuality (yes there's a gay character and no it was not his defining feature), etc. (sorry I was too caught up in the story to remember them all it just made an impression on me). By the end I was thinking on rating this one 5 stars but the sloppy cliffhanger at the end of chapter 32 and the substitution of some common words like marriage and sin with synonyms as well as the untranslated French took away from the allure of this novel. Honestly if I had noticed all that French before buying it I would have most likely left it on the shelf. Don't get me wrong I have nothing agaisnt French I just don't know it so I had to either try to grasp what's been said based on context alone or constantly search for the translation. Since I read mainly while commuting on the subway juggling the book and my phone to translate that sentence and then the one a couple of pages after it was not an option. However, after reading it i'm glad I didn't see that little quirk ^_^. I can't wait for the sequel and hopefully it won't dissappoint.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winterkill.

May 19, 2015 – Shelved