Melanie's Reviews > Ironside

Oct 29, 2010

liked it
bookshelves: my-library, sci-fi-fantasy, young-adult
Read from October 29 to November 07, 2010

I feel like I crossed over into something new with this book. Maybe the constant love my friends have for these books influenced me in some way, I don't know, but Ironside is my favourite of the three in the series, by far.

This one I read much more slowly - mostly because I got really busy rather quickly, so I had no choice - but I think I liked it more because I was making myself wait to see what was going to happen next. Reading these books is too easy - they're not heavy reading by any stretch of the imagination - and part of the reason I wasn't enjoying them as much as I could have was because of the rapid was it reads, the way Black jumps from scene to scene without a breath. Her plot is constantly moving, and it's hard to stop reading it at all because of this. By making myself stop, I was reflecting on other things, rather than my annoyance with her plotting.

I learnt that I absolutely adore her characters. Simply put, if her characters had been anything more or less than they were, I would not have continued with these books at all. They make it for me, and I'm quite in love with them. Corny in particular is my special favourite. I don't know what it is about intrinsically flawed people that I'm attracted to like a moth to the flame, but they do it for me. Corny is one of those characters that was not pretty, he wasn't nice, and he didn't partiularly lend himself towards receiving empathy from readers, being such a prickly fellow (especially in the first book). In Ironside, however, I think something special happened to Corny, and with his revelations and learning curves - he does some shocking things to get there - make me love him.

Black also astounds you every now and then with some remark, witticism, or insight that makes you pause in your reading and go 'oh!'. Those moments were like brilliant jewels in the rough, and I think they should be remembered and cherished.

So overall... I don't regret reading these books, and I'm glad. I just wish there was more. (More books? More story? More explanation in the books themselves? I don't know, I just want more.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ironside.

10/29/2010 page 97